Author Topic: Parduvine Farm - BORTHWICK / DONALDSON  (Read 15197 times)

Offline rindercella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parduvine Farm - BORTHWICK / DONALDSON
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 October 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Sorry I have not replied sooner but only found your message by chance.  Usually rootschat send a notification but this time they didn't.  Christian Hair or Hare and James Black were also my ggg grandparents.  Their son, Andrew Black born 1809 and who was your William Blacks younger brother was my gg grandfather.  I have only recently found him and added him to my tree and it would be great to share info on the family.  I will PM you my e mail address

Karen

Offline TempleDrysdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parduvine Farm - James Stewart/Ann/Anne Wilson
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 July 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of James Stewart and Ann or Anne Wilson. James apparently resided at Parduvine from at least 1815 (birth of son Richard) to 1841 (Census of Carrington).

My family of Stewarts (descended from a different Richard Stewart) were long time residents of Carrington and contemporaries of James Stewart and A. Wilson, often having children whose birth/Baptism records appear on the same page of Carrington register books.

I am trying to establish a link between these two families.

James and Ann appear to have originated in Edinburgh, but James career as a coachman (later carrier) seems to have him move around a fair amount, including a stint at Dalhousie (castle?).

A James Stewart and Anne Wilson (daughter of John Wilson) were married at St Cuthberts on June 16, 1807. A James Stewart (son of James Stewart of Edinburgh) and Ann Wilson had a son in Peebles on September 24th 1808. In 1810 a James Stewart (Coachman/Foutainbridge) and Ann Wilson had a son Adam baptised at St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh on May 22nd. In 1815 a James Stewart and Anne Wilson at Parduvine had a son Richard and in 1819 a daughter Marion. A further son Peter Stewart was born on April 25th, 1822 to James Stewart and Ann Wilson and registered at Carrington.

A James Stewart and an Ann Wilson had a son born "in Dalhousie" on February 3, 1825. Witness was a Richard Stewart. Registration was made at Cockpen. Ramsay marries Elisabeth White at Lasswade on June 7th, 1851. He was a labourer at Melville Castle. Ramsay dies (Angina) in 1864 at Haddington. He was listed a "grocer'. Parents were listed as James Stewart (Coachman,deceased) and Anne Stewart (m.s. Wilson, also deceased).

A James Stewart and Ann Wilson had a son William born Feb 13, 1831, registered at Cockpen.

In 1839 a Richard Stewart marries Margaret Kidd at Loanhead, both were listed as from Carrington Parish.

In the 1841 Carrington Census, Richard (24), Margaret (22) and a daughter (age 1) are listed at Parduvine. The next entry in Parduvine is James Stewart (61)with sons  Peter (19) and William (10) . There are a fair number of Farm Servants and Ag. Labs listed at Parduvine, but a Thomas Laing (and wife Alison) is listed a "Farmer", I suspect then that he was the main tenant. Parduvine seems to be listed as the property of Lord Roseberry at one time.

On April 2nd, 1841 a Marion Stewart, daughter of James Stewart, marries a Robert Crichton in Colinton. Marion was living at Colinton Barley Mill at the time.

The indications of possible ties between this family and mine are: (i)  the overlap in the Carrington area from 1815 ~ 1841 and, (ii) there are similar naming patterns. Mr GGG Grandfather Richard Stewart's parents were James Stewart and Marrion Baillie (of Temple). Richard named his children:

James (1811) Janet (1813) Maran (f)(1818) Lillias (1819), William (1821) Margaret (1822) and Thomas (1825). Richard's wife was Lillias Tait.

Although, it seems remote, James Stewart of Parduvine (b circa 1780) and Richard Stewart (b. 1787) (my ggggrandfather) were both sons of James Stewart and Marrion Baillie, although there is no record of this.

Among Stewart's generally the name Richard Stewart is fairly uncommon.

The couples James Stewart and Ann Wilson  and James Stewart and Anne Wilson could be contemporaries, but the signs are they are one and the same couple.

Offline rodmountford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am researching a Richard Stewart father to James born 1842. Richard was a farmer and is listed as being at Melville Mains married to Margaret with a brother Ramsey ten years younger than Richard. Looks like you have found this branch in your research. I have the 1851 census data that gives all the family and the children Mary (11),James (9), Alex (7) and Richard (2). This is my mums side and she moved to Sydney Australia back in the 1950's. If you can help me with more details that would be great. Thanks Rod

Offline TempleDrysdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 02:17 GMT (UK) »
More details? I think the above is the longest post I have ever written! Good to hear from you, however. I have posted some pictures of my Great Grandfather James Stewart on the Midlothian>Temple Village thread.

Does your mom have any pictures of some old-timers?

I may have made a missleading statement above. It is only my guess that the two patriarchs of the two lines might be brothers.  The early connection to Peebles might be a clue.

The name Ramsay may also be a clue. The Ramsays were an important family in the Carrington area.

Offline rodmountford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi good to hear from you!. Details well they are sketchy as you go further back.  William Henry Stewart (Born 1867 Tadworth Surrey) is my mums grandfather and it is further back that has proved difficult.   James Stewart, William's father was born in 1842 and it was his second marriage to a Hannah Cheasley that gave me Richard Stewart. For his first marriage I have no details and he had no kids from the second marriage. Richard had a younger brother Ramsey and all his kids are listed in the 1841 census. Richard's father is the same James as his mother Ann Wilson as far as I can tell. I don't have many pics and the only info starts with William who was in the Royal Navy. I am in Australia so we are not that close to the those in the UK. Thanks Rod

Offline Del1513

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi ...
I am related to Richard Stewart - who was a labourer at Parduvine farm.

He married Margaret Kidd on 20 June 1839 ... One of his sons - Alexander - married Christine Samuel on 17 Nov 1865 ... moving to Edinburgh ....

Alexander had a son called Alexander Brown .... And he is my Great Grand Father ...
Any info on all this would be brilliant - and photos ... Cheers - Derek

Offline TempleDrysdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 05:14 GMT (UK) »
HI Derek:

I received your email request, but could not figure out how to reply.

Most of what I know about the Richard Stewart that is likely your ancestor is spelled out above.

Let's keep in touch, I will be going into this connection as much as possible.

I think my Stewart line and Richard's father's line may be connected at some point. But I have not found it yet.

Their common ancestral roots might be in Peebleshire.

Offline Del1513

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Temple ...
I have sent you a personal message with my email address ...
Yes - it would be good to search back Richard Stewart's line backwards from 1841 ... They seem to be traced in to the village of Temple - Richard being a rare name would be a good starting point to look up.

I have the censuses for Richard for 1851/61/71 .... where he moved around different farms - not sure where he was living in 1881 but his son Alexander was living in Edinburgh in 1865.... His son, also called Alexander - married Mary Murray from Peebles in 1901 - they continued to live in Edinburgh where he worked as a blacksmith.

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 03:26 BST (UK) »
Unsure whether to start a new thread as the Borthwick/Donaldson thread seems to have become the Parduvine/Stewart thread. I'm hoping someone may have had more luck with James Stewart and Ann Wil(l) son parents of Richard Stewart born 30 Jul 1815 Carrington. Richard married Margaret Kidd 20 June 1839 and their son James was born 3 Dec 1841. James married his cousin Mary Stewart, parents Adam Stewart and Catherine Galloway, on 5 Dec 1859. Haven’t made a definite connection between their lines as yet. Their son James was born abt 1859, (no certificate located), married Eliza Wylie Thomson on 3 June 1880 and  emigrated to Townsville on SS Duke of Buckingham 19 Dec 1882 arriving 5 Feb 1883 with children Mary Margaret Smaile and Agnes McIntyre.  James Adam Ramsay, Eliza Wylie Thomson and William Thomson were born in Queensland. James Stewart died in Queensland in Feb,1892  (registered as Stuart) and widow Eliza married Albert Emes in 1893 (five children to care for, but Albert wasn't around for long). Any more info gratefully received. I’m researching the family of Mary Margaret Smaile Stewart Anderson.
Leadbetter North Meols
Tyrrell  and Shettle Hampshire
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Smail and Cochran Berwickshire
Worling and Harrop Cambridgeshire
Happ Eltville
Harrop and Shettle Suffolk