Author Topic: BUCHAN and HOGG Grangemouth Ship Owners  (Read 3121 times)

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUCHAN and HOGG Grangemouth Ship Owners
« on: Sunday 19 January 14 23:18 GMT (UK) »
HI Iv'e been trying to find any information about Janet and William Hogg who are buried in Grandsable cemetery . I believe William was co-owner of the shipping company  B&H he died in 1955,Janet died Dec 1934 .My Father in law was a sea captain working for B&H during WW2 and was a good friend of William ,I wondered if there are any relatives of the Hogg family still alive that may be able to help I don't think they had any children when my Father in law worked for them .
I am having difficulty finding any info on the scottish sites IE dates of birth ,marriage and census info address etc ,Hogg seens to be a common name in Scotland I would be grateful for any assistance ,PM me you don't want to post on open forum.Thanks Chris

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: BUCHAN AND HOGG GRANGEMOUTH SHIP OWNERS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 14 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Using the free index at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ , there are 6 deaths in Scotland for a William Hogg in 1955.
Only death in Stirling(shire) is William Hogg 1955 Grangemouth Stirling , born c1878.

Do you know Janet's maiden name ?

Possible death Janet Hogg/Watt 1934 Grangemouth Stirling , born c1890.
Possible marriage 1923 Grangemouth Stirling.

William's death certificate should give you the name of his wife and usual address.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 January 14 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I am having difficulty finding any info on the scottish sites IE dates of birth ,marriage and census info address etc

The only worthwhile site for genuine Scottish information is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - this is the only place where you can access the originals of birth, marriage and death certificates and census records online.

There are other sites which can be very useful finding aids, but none of them has the authentic original information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replies the reason I was trying to find more info is during researching my wife's family tree we knew of a sister that had died 22nd Sept 1939 age 7 weeks and was buried in Falkirk,I traced her grave to Grandsable cemetery and when given details was told there were 2 other people in same grave .The grave has no headstone but the persons are Janet & William Hogg who have no connection to our family but my Father in law [the childs father]had been given permission to have his daughter buried there . We have to presume this was the same Hogg family who part owned the shipping company that he worked for as Captain of the SS Dungrange,he and his wife were good friends of the Hogg family .I could not find any birth or death details of the infant who is Hannah Ellen Parry  DOB Jul/Aug 1939.Regards ---Chris

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 14 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I could not find any birth or death details of the infant who is Hannah Ellen Parry  DOB Jul/Aug 1939.

Where did you look? Because if you failed to find them you must have been looking in the wrong places ;)

Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has a birth record for Hannah Ellen Parry in 1939, and a death record for Hannah Ellen Parry in 1939. You won't be able to view the birth record online, because it's too recent (less than 100 years) but you can view the death certificate at modest cost (£1.40).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BUCHAN and HOGG Grangemouth Ship Owners
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 22:31 GMT (UK) »
After I had posted last night I registered on Scotland people and found details of Hannah but didn't realise it was not a  free site except for finding a name then having to pay for details .I can go on find my past or ancestry and view for free in my local library so I may try that.I was suprised that they charge to view census  as some dates are free in England and Wales .Thanks for reply Chris

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 22:57 GMT (UK) »
You will not be able view the original information free of charge on Ancestry or anywhere else, and I did tell you that Hannah's death certificate would cost you £1.40.

(You can actually view up to 5 certificates or census records for £7, which is a bargain compared to the £9.25 you currently have to pay to get one English or Welsh death certificate, and very much cheaper than Australian or New Zealand certificates.)

The only place where the original Scottish birth, marriage, death and census records can be viewed online is at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You can usually view the Scottish census free of charge if you go to a library which has the relevant microfilms, but there is nowhere you can view them online free of charge.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 April 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
You will not be able view the original information free of charge on Ancestry or anywhere else, and I did tell you that Hannah's death certificate would cost you £1.40.

(You can actually view up to 5 certificates or census records for £7, which is a bargain compared to the £9.25 you currently have to pay to get one English or Welsh death certificate, and very much cheaper than Australian or New Zealand certificates.)

The only place where the original Scottish birth, marriage, death and census records can be viewed online is at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You can usually view the Scottish census free of charge if you go to a library which has the relevant microfilms, but there is nowhere you can view them online free of charge.
As a last resort I rang the records office in Edinburgh who passed me on to another office who gave me the birth and death details and confirmed the address of Hannah so we now have all the details we needed . My Wife and other siblings visited the grave in Grandsable Cemetery a couple of weeks ago and put flowers on the grave which has no headstone ,they took a photo for the family tree.My Wife has  fulfilled her promise to her mother that she would visit the grave which her Mother never got back to Scotland to see before she died .