Author Topic: Thomas Crawford  (Read 6404 times)

Offline smiffy14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Crawford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 May 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
 :o :-[ "duh ..sorry , thats the last bit of info ."
Residence at the time of marriage; James Henry Green- Kilkenny
                                                ;Jane Crawford- Athlone.......Thats all !no address, house number, zilch . Does it make any difference with regards to ....religion, I did tell you the name of the church, its R.C.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 May 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
I knew it would be there somewhere !! Athlone is fine - quite common not to give a street name if they lived in the town.

You mentioned earlier that the marriage took place in St. Mary's, which is the Westmeath part of Athlone. The western part of the town was on the other side of the river Shannon and in Co. Roscommon.

I suspect that Jane's birth was just before 1864 or simply never registered, but what you could try is a birth for one of her siblings to confirm some details on the family. I think I'd try Margaret - the possible witness - hopefully it will show her father as a Labourer with an address in Athlone town.

These are the references you need to order a research cert for her :

Name: Margaret Crawford
  Event Type: Birth
  Year : 1868
  Registration District : Athlone
  Volume: 8 / Page: 2

I dont think there wouldn't be that many Thomas Crawfords with occupations labourers in Athlone town at the same time, so you might be able reasonably link to your Jane based on that.

for notes on ordering a research birth cert see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Birth Cert

That Griffith's reference you mentioned is in a separate district named Ballymahon, which is about 20km to the north est of Athlone, so not sure that would be connected. Your Thomas may not have held is own property at the time of Griffith's
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline smiffy14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 May 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thankyou ! , very (x lots ) for your help, " If I could get my hands on the idiots who got rid of the Irish census, our lives would be a lot easier and saner". If / when I get a copy of Margarets birth And it works I will let you know. Bye for now 8) ;D :)
graham

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 May 13 19:24 BST (UK) »
The Census returns for 1861-91 were completely destroyed during the First World War apparently during a paper shortage, so probably based on orders originating from Government in London.

Earlier returns for 1821 to 1851 were lost during the civil war (1922).
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests