Author Topic: ELI CLARKE  (Read 6984 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ELI CLARKE
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi a bit confused here is the George you have the brother of Eli ? and the problem is you can't find him with the family in 1841 census noting the father Robert is not there also .....Do you have access to Ancestry.. as this is where I seen the records but note no information other than the crime again this is just  speculation ...Most library's have Ancestry where you can view these records

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
hi rosie ,yes there is a eli and a George belonging to a Robert and sarah Clarke of wotton under edge -ive traced all their children bar eli and George -I dont know if this is my family im looking for or not but its the only family I can find with a father Robert and a son called George ---I know in later life my grandfather called himself George eli and he also called his son George eli,which makes me think this may be the correct family , but whats throwing me is I have a death of a George Clarke aged 8  in wotton in 1838 ,-the poor child burned to death whilst his parents were at work,i need to eliminate this George as if I can do this ,then I think im still on the right track ---however as there was no parents name on his death record or in the newspaper report I have no idea how I can find out who he belonged to ---if he belonged to Robert and sarah Clarke and brother to eli then im on the wrong family for me as obviously my George was still alive ---im so confused -I just need a new thought on it from someone to maybe help me see things in a different light ,BO xx

Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi did you manage to find the parents in other census forms ? there was a death for a Sarah Clark 1842 Dursley Gloucester ....There was a George Clark born about 1827 Wotton Under edge in the 1851 census with a wife Elizabeth and a son Richard ....Is this George yours George Elias Clarke marriage 1857 Registration district Newport Pagnell ...I think maybe you will need to find out where they hold the church records for Dursley Chapel Methodist Gloucester and see if you can find anything ...this was the church where the children were baptised

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
hi bless you for helping ,thank you , I have the childrens baptisms ,EMMA ,ELI,RUTH,GEORGE,ROWLAND,AND PAMELA  -I also have ROBERT CLARKE marriage to SARAH CROOME,20th july 1823  at the parish church of ST MARYS THE VIRGIN WOTTON UNDER  EDGE ,I then have a death for ROBERT CLARKE 3rd quarter 1838 ,and a death for SARAH CLARKE  4th quarter 1846-- im awaiting these death certificates to see what they say , ---ive traced EMMA,RUTH,ROWLAND TO BRISTOL in later years ,not found PAMELA,at all, ELI  I couldn't find ,but then found that death certificate in Bristol in  1st quarter 1851,so ive sent for that also to see what information that gives me , all three should be here by the weekend ,I have no idea about GEORGE, but (if hes my family )then obviously hes around somewhere in 1841 and 1851 , but where I have to find out , -I remember ages ago seeing a GEORGE CLARKE  in  a school in BRISTOL ,so im just going to have a look now and see what I can find ,I am on ancestry and find my past ,but a bit slow to work it all out , is there any way I can find out how many George clarkes are born in wotton under edge with a fathers name of Robert , any help appreciated ,silv x

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 21:17 BST (UK) »
sorry rosie forgot to add my George joined the army in the 45th and  59th reg , he was in south Africa in the 1861 census and he married mary holloran in galway on the 26th september  1866 , I have their wedding certificate , he later came to widnes Lancashire and had George eli ,mary kate ,john Robert and then mary ended up in the workhouse in prescot and gave birth to my grandfather  james Clarke in 1877 .--George was lost again after 1874 when his last known address was 20 Cromwell street widnes ---so I have all his life except his birth and first few years and then his death 

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Yes I seen the information on your tree with your George  ??? ??? that many George's !! will have another look tomorrow getting a bit late now ...Oh they don't make it easy for us do they  ;D ;D

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
rosie ,they certainly don't , I had this info years ago and dismissed it as I thought the George in this family had been burnt to death --not realising there were so many damn George clarkes in wotton ,lol,then I followed the wrong lead and got pally with someone who thought we were related , found out het George and Robert are deffo not mine ,so I went back to the beginning --I just need to find him ,don't know why ,but he wont leave me alone lol x

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 July 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
I can see you have been searching for him for a long time the only thing I can suggest is you maybe contact the Historical Society & Heritage Centre and see if they can help .....And hopefully you will find the right George  :) :)

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:21 BST (UK) »
ok so got eli clarkes death certificate -no family names on it just the nurse at the  hospital  who was present at his death ==im 99% sure its the eli Clarke im looking for as it all fits in with other information I have -----so ive now found all the brothers and sisters for that family bar George -- now I need to find out if he was the George that died aged 8 in the fire at wotton under edge ,or indeed if he was my great grandfather George who went on to marry mary holloran -----if he is my George then where could he have gone in the 1841 and 1851 census ---and where do I start to look --any ideas please