Author Topic: Photo - Urquhart Cemetery please  (Read 11161 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo - Urquhart Cemetery please
« on: Saturday 24 January 09 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I would really appreciate it if someone could take a photo of a grave stone in Urquhart new cemetery.

It is grave 124 according to ANESFHS MI Index.

The name is George John McKie or MacKie who died 13th April 1993.

Thank you
Betty

Offline Deegjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Photo - Urquhart Cemetery please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 09 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Betty, apologies for barging in on your post, please forgive me.

If there is any kind person who could accept, is it possible for them to take another photo of a headstone for me. The grave is for Harry Charles Freestone  ( died 11 Oct 1973) and his wife Georgina ( nee Williamson died 29 Apr 1973). I have only just discovered them today so have not had a chance to get the grave number, but I understand they are in Urquart New Cemetery with a stone ref 005.

Many thanks to Bety and whoever

Dave

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I understand they are in Urquart New Cemetery with a stone ref 005.

Just a wee tip: if you mention stone reference numbers, please say which source you got the number from. The numbering in the ANESFHS MI booklets does not match the numbering in the Moray Council LIBINDX.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 January 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
There are two matching adjacent stones in Urquhart New Cemetery.  One is George's and the other is a Frederick Mackie.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 January 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
The grave is for Harry Charles Freestone  ( died 11 Oct 1973) and his wife Georgina ( nee Williamson died 29 Apr 1973). I understand they are in Urquart New Cemetery

I walked twice right round Urquhart New Cemetery today, but failed to spot this headstone.

They are indeed listed in LIBINDX with a reference of U3n. I don't know what this means. Normally a stone in Urquhart New would have a number of the form Un(x) where (x) is the stone reference number.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 January 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Just to repeat my thanks for taking the photos of the three grave stones.

Cheers

Betty

Offline Deegjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

Many thanks for your help. It would seem that the plot thickens by the moment. I know all the information I had was from the Libindx site, but I have retraced my steps from yesterday, and cannot find where I discovered 'stone ref 005'.
On the Libindx site I have noticed a peculiarity in that with the Freestone details it refers to Urquart New Cemetery, but with Betty's George Mackie it refers to Urquart Churchyard. Is it possible that Libindx has got the referencing wrong and that the Freestones could be in the churchyard?
Thanks to Betty I have now been to http://www.abdnet.co.uk/mi-index/ which also refers to stone number 5.
Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Got it! It was right in the very corner of the cemetery, partly obscured from the direction I approached by a bushy plant.

Offline Deegjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

Absolutely wonderful. I can't thank you enough. Really appreciate the photo.

Dave