Author Topic: Cemetery Search in Grantown Area - Drawing A Blank!  (Read 6425 times)

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery Search in Grantown Area - Drawing A Blank!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Having checked the burial records for Aberdeen using the link that was previously provided, I cannot locate them - yet. 

There is a difference between 'Aberdeen' and 'Aberdeenshire'. The burial records of (the city of) Aberdeen are on Deceased Online, but I don't think the Aberdeenshire ones have been added yet.

Yes, appreciate the difference. I think the Aberdeenshire records will be key. Oh well, the hunt continues!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 January 14 07:43 GMT (UK) »
"Neither of their deaths are registered in those areas but they are known to have lived in Grantown on Spey towards the end of their lives"

Have you looked at S.P. using the spelling "Myria McMillan, other name Kirton" Gross data-218/00 0020 ?

Regards

Malky

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 January 14 13:14 GMT (UK) »
"Neither of their deaths are registered in those areas but they are known to have lived in Grantown on Spey towards the end of their lives"

Have you looked at S.P. using the spelling "Myria McMillan, other name Kirton" Gross data-218/00 0020 ?

Regards

Malky

Hi Malky

Thanks for this.  I think that this is what I did eventually to find her death certificate but am I missing a trick here?  Can burial records be checked on the Scotlands People website?

Cheers

Lee

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 February 14 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Can burial records be checked on the Scotlands People website?

Only those before 1855 which were included in the parish registers. None as late as the ones you want to look at.

I have already suggested contacting Highland Council, who should have any records of 20th century burials in the Grantown area, and Aberdeenshire Council, who should have any records of 20th century burials in Aberchirder and Longside. There is no point in looking anywhere else.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 February 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »

I have already suggested contacting Highland Council, who should have any records of 20th century burials in the Grantown area, and Aberdeenshire Council, who should have any records of 20th century burials in Aberchirder and Longside. There is no point in looking anywhere else.

Appreciate the comment but I have already contacted both but with no success.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 February 14 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Cremated or donated to medical science??

Regards

Malky

Offline leemcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Cremated or donated to medical science??

Regards

Malky

Hi folks.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.  A distant relative in Canada came across a picture of their gravestone last week after she spoke with her cousins about the search, and I used this information to go back to the Aberdeenshire Registrar.  We have now found them!  They are buried in Old Huntly Cemetery.  I don't know why they didn't come up in a search previously, however this exercise found them - as well as many other relatives who are buried in adjoining graves.

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.  What a great site - I wouldn't have thought that a forum like this would have been so useful!

Regards

Lee