Author Topic: Spoor family of Whickham  (Read 8818 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spoor family of Whickham
« on: Thursday 22 February 07 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Seeking descendants of the Spoor family of Whickham and Ryton. I have more than a dozen years of research to share.
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline becrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spoor family of Whickham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 07 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello, and cool winter greetings from Canberra, Australia.

I have just discovered that I am a descendant of Mary Elliott Spoor, born in Whickham in 1831.  Mary Elliott was the daughter of William and Catherine.  I have looked at the IGI indexes, and notice that there are 2 marriages between a William and Catherine around the estimated time, and I am not sure of her mother's surname. 

I have found her on the 1851 Census, living in Northallerton and employed as a domestc servant.  She married John Wetherill and they lived in Northallerton and raised their family there.  I have not been able to locate her in the 1841 Census, so I have no guide for reseaching her parents. 

Does any of this sound familiar?  Do you think there could be a link with your tree?

Kind regards
Rebekah
Robson, Brewster, Beadnell, Wetherill, Spoor, Davy, Wilson, Harrison, kennedy, Paton, Cochrane, Pollard, Broxup, Clay, Dixon, Bentley, Stow, ward, Hadfield, Coleman, Reading, Paul, Dadd

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Rebekah!  So very good to hear from you! Your Mary Elliott Spoor was the daughter of William Spoor and Catherine DUNN. There are several other SPOOR searchers that I can put you in direct contact with; your direct line has been traced further back. If you send me a personal message I will be pleased to give you more family information. Most sincerely, Pat Hughes
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline becrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again Pat

Thank you for your reply.  I just today received the marriage certificate for Mary Elliott Spoor and John Wetherill, confirming that her father William was a Keelman, and they lived at Ballast Hills, Newcastle at the time of Mary's marriage on 8 Sept 1853.  I would love to chat with anyone who has done research on the Spoor family.

Please excuse my ignorance, I am new to Rootschat.  How do I send you a personal message?

Rebekah
Robson, Brewster, Beadnell, Wetherill, Spoor, Davy, Wilson, Harrison, kennedy, Paton, Cochrane, Pollard, Broxup, Clay, Dixon, Bentley, Stow, ward, Hadfield, Coleman, Reading, Paul, Dadd

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 16:05 BST (UK) »
Just to the left of the "Please excuse...." in your message is a partial face and next to it is a scroll.  Go to the answer the person you want to sent a message to and click on that scroll in their answer pane.  Then you can send a message.  That is the easiest way.  There are others.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline downonthebay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 12:50 BST (UK) »
I have recently come across this subject - better late than never!  On my wife's side there is an Alice Spoor who married an Arthur Lowes circa 1930 - however we are more interested in some of the other names you are researching.  We are particularly interested in Harding of Whickham and the Liddell branches.
Are you willing to share on these names?

Regards, Mike

Dobson; Dobeson; Ellender; Harding; Lowes; Moffoot; Reynoldson

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Good to hear from you again and thanks for starting this line up.  As you know I am descended from Amor Spoor via his daughter Betty b 1774.

Could you solve a problem for me?  Betty's brother Michael had a son called Amor who married a woman called Martha in Yorkshire and they had a daughter, Margery who died young.  Do you by any chance know the maiden name of his wife, Martha??  I've hunted everywhere and failed to find the marriage.

Many thanks

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fergussonfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a Hannah Spoor from Hexham who married a James Crozier. Their daughter, Hannah Crozier was the second wife of my 3rd Great Grandfather, Thomas Elliott, born Bell's Close in 1816. Does anyone here have information on him? A long shot, but the Spoor, Elliott and Whickham just seems too much of a coincidence.

His first wife, my 3rd G Grandmother, Sarah Nicholson's family came from Whickham/Swalwell. Her family married into Hall and Maddsion and Ewart and later into Allen. They went to live at South Shore, Gateshead working at New Greenwich. Most likely they all worked for the heavy engineering firm of Hawks, Crawshay & Sons. So they probably worked at the Ambrose Crowley works in Swalwell before that. After that descendants went to work in Hunslet, Leeds, Poplar and Erith,  Norwich.

My Elliott ancestors were Boiler Makers. The Halls were Chain Makers. The Maddisons were Boiler Makers. Ewarts were Brass Moulders. Allens were Boiler Makers and Anchor Smiths.

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 December 12 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello fergussonfamily, First, let me apologize profusely for not responding sooner. My husband was in the midst of radiation treatments for his cancer when he had to have open heart surgery. So, things have been very hectic around here.  I THINK we may have a connection as I have a second cousin (Isabella Spoor b. 1804) who married Richard Ewart in 1826 in the Tynemouth district of Northumberland. )   I have a lot of information on the Spoor family going back,but I do not know anything about any possible Ewart/Spoor children.  If I can assist you with any Spoor information, please do not hesitate to ask.  Sincerely, Pat