Author Topic: can anyone help me please. cranfield.  (Read 4261 times)

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can anyone help me please. cranfield.
« on: Sunday 10 June 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
hi all this is a bit of a longshot that im hoping someone might be kind enough to help me with or suggest how i can procede. my problem is this my 2 xgg grandmother is eliza loveridge. i have her in the 1911 census in dunstable with what i am sure is her family, her husband (well probably not legal hubby) and there children, in this she says she was born in cranfield beds and she is 39 yrs old.
in the 01 census she calls herself miltea and is 30 and still born in cranfield. but i cant find either her or israel her hubby in the 91 or 81 census. israel is in the 71 with his parents.
i should say they are romanies so naturally move about a bit. but in the 01 and 11 they are living in a house in dunstable.
now yesterday a lady called pam kindly looked up my great gran lavinia's baptisim in the hope it would show her father's name as well as her mum (her birth cert only shows mum, eliza loveridge) but no it only has mum eliza, but again she says she is from cranfield. at the time of lavinia's birth they were in horham, suffolk. so im taking from this that eliza was born in cranfield, she may not have lived there long or appeared on the 81 and 91 census for cranfield they may well have moved on by then. yesterday i looked at the census for cranfield, not sure if i got all if it but got quite a few and couldnt find any possibles.
so what im wandering is if there is any way i can find out or perhaps someone can kindly help me solve the mystery by looking to see if there are any baptisims in cranfield between 71 and around 81 for a gypsy girl or a gypsy family in the area . i know its a longshot but im not sure of how else to procede. she may have been born a loveridge or even a parker or indeed anyother name, its the hawker, tinker, pedlar etc bit that will give us the clue, her name could be eliza, elizabeth or miltea, matilda or someother alternate. i know it is a hard one but i just dont know how else to find eliza and her birth family. ive got quite a way back with israel but not her. i would be so very, very grateful for any help or suggestions. thanks kindly in advance. tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help me please. cranfield.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Is this the family living in Stotfold, Beds, not Dunstable, in 1911:
Israel 42 b Ampthill; Eliza 39 b Cranfield married 22 years 10 children all living; Charles 17 b Suffolk, Loveina 15 b Suffolk; Elias 12 b Poddington Beds; Rosina 9 b Essex; Fanny 7 b Stotfold; Israel 4 b Podington; Bethany 2 b Herts; Matilda 6 mths b Stotfold

It looks to be the right family as Israel and Miltea were living in Dunstable in 1901
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 June 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
The BVRI shows the baptism of Rosina Loveridge, daughter of Israel and Eliza, on 2 May 1802 at Barkway, Herts, and for good measure she was done again on 4 Jun 1902 at Furneaux Pelham, Herts, so even though Lavinia's father's name wasn't included on her birth and baptism records, it was for her sister.

The IGI for Cranfield baptisms goes up to 1875 but there are no names that you mention. There's no transcript available so the only way you can pick up the sort of detail you're seeking is to check the microfilm of Cranfield parish register, which you can order from and view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre

David

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 June 12 18:57 BST (UK) »
hi david yes that is right thats the family. im just hoping to get eliza's parents they are proving a challenge. lds is the latter day saints centres isint it?  i wander why israel was listed for rosina and perhaps the others but not my lavinia? its almost like he was determined to thwart me  :(. will try and find mmy local lds and go and see what i can find. thankyou so much for your help.
tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
gill- derbyshire

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 March 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
finaly found Eliza's birth and her parents too I even have her mums photo. haven't got past her mum though.
waters/walters-berkshire
gill- derbyshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 March 14 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Well tell us more then! Where did you find her birth, and who were her parents?

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 March 14 13:59 GMT (UK) »
ok. I discovered she had another son in 1915 called nelson so I ordered his birth cert, on it finally was her maiden name. I knew she had been born in cranfield so I looked on bmd for an eliza loveridge bn in 1872 in that district. I found two possibles. I looked at one and discovered she died young but the other didn't so took the plunge and ordered the cert and sure enough the mum only was listed a Margaret parker pedlar, and eliza was bn in cranfield.
my own gran was named Margaret parker so for her gran and they were both known as peggy. I also discovered last year via face book some of my loveridge/parker/draper relations they filled in so many blanks I also found the granddaughter of my granny Eliza's brother, leonard and she was able to tell me peggy was known as peg leg because she had a wooden leg and she mostly lived in stotfold. she died there in 1907 after she fell in a ditch, she was 80. she is buried in stotfold cemetery. I was also told her man was called luke but so far ive found nothing more on them. I have peg's death cert. I would love to know how peg leg lost her leg, I guess that is why she ended up staying around stotfold.  I wander if there are any legends of a 1 legged gypsy lady living in the area around 1900 who died after she drowned in a ditch. (she was apparently a bit um tipsy)
waters/walters-berkshire
gill- derbyshire