Author Topic: Brennan family of Finglas  (Read 33522 times)

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan family of Finglas
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 December 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, thanks for that!  I'll have to figure out how to order that certificate; the GRO doesn't do  online transactions but instead want you to write your credit card details on a form and mail it off to them; must admit that i'm not entirely comfortable with that, might see if i can do it over the phone (though apparently they need a signed form). 

If she didn't know/provide her birth father's name, is there any other way to locate her birth records?  The family story is that her father apparently went off to america either before or not long after her birth and left her mother in the lurch.
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Albrecht (Germany & Australia)
Korn (Germany & Australia)
Coster (London)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 December 09 23:51 GMT (UK) »
If Annie didnt include her birth father's details on her marriage cert then finding her birth cert will be difficult.  You could just search The Irish Civil Index on familysearch for possible matching births, with close matches to year of birth and  name, but without any parents names I think it could be a problem confirming any certs you order based on these are correct. Do you know where she  was born ? (i.e. Finglas ?) A location for the birth would narrow down the possible results

I would say the first step is to try for the marriage cert and keep your fingers crossed that it does include her biological father's details.

Shane

(edit : corrected name)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 December 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
shanew147,
Absolutely, lets hope that there are some details regarding Annie's father, otherwise it might be back to the drawing board. 

What's the best way to go about finding about an RIC constable listed in the 1912 Porters guide to Finglas?  It lists a John Brennan, but i've no way of knowing if he's one of the family or not?
C
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)

Offline Ms. Smokestoomuch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 December 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Krisof
I think that it might be a good idea to put up a separate tread for say Francis (Terry) Brennan and the Flying Columns, or Charlie Brennan and the WW1 photo etc.
It might attract those that have know-how  in those specific areas.

I'm sure there is knowledge on rootschat about IRA activities in Lucan Leixlip etc.
If you put a clue in the subject it might draw out the geniuses.
Rafter, Smith, Hession, O'Gara, Leech, Durkin, McManus, Eustace, O'Brien, Hyland, White, Hoey, Maher, Martin, McConaghy, Flynn, Davy.
Ballybough, Ballina, Ballyinaglea, Sligo , Casleconner, Killucan, Royal Canal. Ballymoney(wex).

Offline riaob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am the granddaughter of Patrick Brennan from North road Finglas.I just happened to come across this site through browsing.
 My father Patrick Brennan is still alive, he is eighty four years old.
There has been recent names put on the family grave only recently but these are more recent burials such as John (sandy) Brennan who never married.
I don't know if there is some way of contacting directly?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Once you have 3 posts you can use the private messages system (the little green scroll) under people's name on the left. You can then exchange email addresses and communicate directly.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline riaob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Yes I've just copped that. I am only new to this site, but my father could have much of the information that Krisof is looking for or would know the people to ask re same.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
We are not allowed to post email addresses or details of living (or possibly living) people on rootschat, so that's why the pm system is provided.

one more post and you should be able to use it....

p.s. - welcome to rootschat!

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline kristof

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brennan family of Finglas
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
I thought that I might post a little information from the Brennan family plot in St Canice's graveyard in Finglas to share with any other Brennan researchers out there. 

Are there any issues with me posting a transcription of the headstone/memorial? 

And of course, many thanks to the person that provided the photo’s and inscription.
Brennan (Finglas)
O'Shaughnessy (Clare)
Welch (Dublin)
Moore (Portadown)
Williams (Cornwall)
Coster (London)