Author Topic: MATHEWS in Dublin/New to this board  (Read 15147 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: MATHEWS in Dublin/New to this board
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I just thought of something else!  At the time of her 1845 Dublin Marriage,  Mary Jane Fleming  - Usual Place of Residence -stated to be Triton Terrace Irishtown. Her father David Fleming was an Officer in Royal Irish Artillery - could that possibly have been a Barracks maybe?

There was a barracks not far from Irishtown at Beggars Bush on Haddington Road.

I was thinking that place of birth for the children would help give you an original location for the family and possibly lead to a baptism or two to give you their mother's name and then follow on from that to search for their parents marriage..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you're right Shane, I had thought that as well, but so far haven't been able to dig up anything in Portarlington for Mary Jane Flemings birth.  And Newatt - is there actually such a place in Ireland? I haven't been able to find one, but of course that doesn't mean it's not there.  A few years ago an elderly Irish acquaintance of mine said not so, but she lived in Wellington NZ and thought she was living in Tipperary!! It was actually her that suggested either Newrath or Newry....
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a look for that 'Newatt' census return and see if I can make anything more out of it..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Found that 1871 record.... pretty bad, the first part of the placename is partially covered with some sort of mark.. but I dont think it states 'Newatt'

All the other t's on the page have definitive crossbars - see the one in Portarlington. Not sure that the first letter is an N either - the N in Norfolk a few lines above is quite different... The first letter in John's place of birth looks a bit like some of the other M's on the page

I'll check it a bit more, but I'm not sure how much detail can be worked out with so much of the word obscured.

Have you found John on a later census return ?

Shane

English Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
My Surname Interests

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 11:16 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thanks for all you're doing! I don't have any later than 1871 census info for John & Mary Jane, although Henry MD Mathews, his wife Jane & 8 chn were in Boston by 1881 US Census. I have just had a thought! Maybe they could be found in 1881 census with one or other of their other sons or daughters mentioned in the 1871 census entry. Mary,John, Richard or Robert? They may still be in England in 1881 or 1891 census. What do you think??  Mary (their daughter aged 12 in the 1871, would have been 22 by 1881, and was married to an Albert Pile in Surrey (not certain of the date yet). Maybe still all around Sheffield??  Time for me to call it a night, or I'll never get up for work in the morning!! Shane I can't thank you enough for all this - you're so fast I can't keep up with you!!   ::) LOL  Amazing!!! G'night then!
Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 January 11 10:18 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Shane, Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.  Just been digging a bit sideways on the Newratt birth location census reference for John Gibbons Mathews, and  and the Portarlington birth location reference given in the same 1871 Lambeth London) census information for his wife Mary Jane Fleming.

Mr. Google tells me there is also a Newrath in Country Waterford, in County Kilkenny, and Dundalk, Dromiskin County Louth.  And a Portarlington, (as well as County Laios where I have been looking - with Ronnie Mathews - thought I had struck gold there with the Mathews name LOL - but sadly not, and although he is not connected to my Mathews family - he keeps me in mind).

So Portarlington again, another  in County Louth, and another in County Kilkenny.  I'm still trying to find other places that might have been interpreted phonetically as Newatt, or Newratt.  I must talk to my Irish neighbour again, and ask her to say the word as written.  Might be worth a go!   Not so difficult for me with my Scottish names as perhaps written by an Englishman, as I grew up with my Mum & Dad and Grandparents all speaking with broad Scottish accents, and can usually work those ones out! However, what do you think of a Portarlington and Newratt?rath? whatever?? being in one of the other counties. Interested to know your thoughts!

Thanks
Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 January 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Rath is the Irish for a Fort and occurs as part of many placenames. I dont think there are many locations in Ireland that end in ..rat, ratt or att. See the townland database at www.thecore.com/seanruad

The problem is that the Mathews family may have moved between the births of John G. and Mary A. and 'Newatt' may be nowhere near Portarlington.

Pity there are no other census returns for them...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 January 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Mr. Google tells me there is also a Newrath in Country Waterford, in County Kilkenny, and Dundalk, Dromiskin County Louth.  And a Portarlington, (as well as County Laios where I have been looking - with Ronnie Mathews - thought I had struck gold there with the Mathews name LOL - but sadly not, and although he is not connected to my Mathews family - he keeps me in mind).
So Portarlington again, another  in County Louth, and another in County Kilkenny. 

not sure if I'm reading that bit about Portarlington correctly...

I'm only aware of the one on Co. Laois.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 January 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi again Shane.  No other later census info - I did ask for an 1891 England lookup on the Census page, but nothing for that year.  Someone did do an 1851 one though, and found them - but birth stated for only Ireland.  Children had different England birth places though, that may be helpful. Here's the link to that post.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,503195.0.html

As for the Portarlington in other counties, that's just what Mr. Google picked up, (and I'm sure he's not an Irishman with your knowledge), but just thought it may be place name change or boundary change or something. 

Thanks Shane
Jeanne   :)

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections