Author Topic: Thormanby Road, Howth  (Read 5654 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thormanby Road, Howth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 February 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lynn,

My Quirks were from Westmeath (Mullingar) in the early 1800s.  However, most of the information I have is from Dublin 1860s onward but includes a later connection to Howth, including Thormanby Road, which was why I thought we might just have a match.

Sheila
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 February 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn
Eoghan is pronounced like Owen. My granduncle was actually baptised Eugene so I think he may have settled on Eoghan as the Gaelic version of his name because it has a similar look to Eugene.  As far as I know, Eoghan/Owen is more correctly the equivalent of John.
If Howth is the only location you have for your O'Briens, I suspect they are not related to mine. Given that O'Brien is the sixth most numerous name in Ireland, however, that's not surprising. (Presumably, with a common surname, the two families have some connection in the dim and distant past - just not discoverable in the available record.)
Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 February 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
the "Eugene" comes into play because the Latin version of Owen/Eoghan was considered to be Eugenius.
Our Owen McLoughlin's baptism record shows him as Eugenius, but his "legal" name was Owen.

Eoin/Eoghan can also stand for John, in which case the Latin would be Johannes or something similar. (just to make life more confusing!)

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Nicky Maguire

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • An eternal optimist!!....(well maybe at times)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 October 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is suzanne I was born and reared in st Gerard's upper cliff road howth  is that the address your looking for, I remember my parents telling us that a man called mr Breen sold them house,he was an irish speaker,

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 October 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne
Great to hear from you. "Mr Breen" has to have been my grand uncle Eoghan O Briain. He was an Irish speaker (possibly fanatically so!). He was a "pioneer" member of the Gaelic League, according to an obituary, and he worked for the organisation for a number of years after 1917. He was in the GPO garrison during the 1916 Rising but dropped out of the Volunteers/IRA at the end of 1917 when no further action seemed to be in the offing. I've recently discovered that he ended his days in a nursing home and had sold St Gerard's (probably to finance his care). I think your post has answered my original question as to whether the house was on the Upper Cliff Road or on Thormanby Road. Can you confirm, however, that St Gerard's was/is near the junction with Thormanby Rd since that would make sense of the fact that Eoghan sometimes gave his address as St Gerard's, Canon's Rock?
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline Philip Howth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 October 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn

I was searching recently for information on James O'Brien who lived at Heather Cottage, Upper Cliff Road. I came across your posts on this site about your relationship to him. I would be very grateful if you could help me with information about him. I know he had a brother John who is said to have run a small dairy farm around 1920 at Baker's Lane, also in Howth. I came across mentions of John and James in a biography of Michael Collins, one of the top Irish revolutionary leaders in the 1919-21 War of Independence. He is said to have stayed with John, but most often at Heather Cottage with James, when he was running the underground political and military campaign against the British at the time. As a man from a farming background himself, he befriended the two brothers and they willingly made their houses available as "safe houses". I am currently researching the history of that period in the Howth-Baldoyle area. Can you help me with any further information about John and James?

Offline Raglanroad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 June 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather, James O'Brien lived in Heather Cottage on Upper Cliff Road, Howth. Thormanby Road is a main street and you turn off it to get onto Upper Cliff Road. If you are looking for info on this O'Brien family, I have much I can share with you.

Lynn McGoldrick Franger
Lynn
I am currently doing research on the East Mountain area in Howth. I know Michael Collins had an association with this area, particularly with the O'Brien family some of whom lived in the original Heather Cottage. This house was subsequently demolished and rebuilt between 2002 and 2004. I would love to get some information about the O'Brien family their farming activities etc. If you can help I would appreciate it.