Author Topic: Edwin Hawthorn, b 1811 Dublin  (Read 1638 times)

Offline TigerJan775

• RootsChat Extra
  • I used to have a life, then I discovered genealogy
    • View Profile
Edwin Hawthorn, b 1811 Dublin
« on: Saturday 08 November 14 21:38 GMT (UK) »
For 9 years all I knew of my GG Grandfather Edwin Hawthorn prior to his marriage in Kent, England, in 1850 was that we was born in Ireland c1811. With no point of reference in Ireland I hit a brick wall, but today I discovered some merchant seaman records which gave his date and place of birth. I realise Dublin is a big place, but it's a starting point much smaller than just Ireland! Could anyone please tell me if birth records exist for Dublin 1811?
BRATTAN, Lincolnshire
HULME, Lancashire
RAWLING, Yorkshire
ROBINSON, Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Hawthorn, b 1811 Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 14 22:10 GMT (UK) »
You also know his father was called Thomas,,,and that he was a Major in the 57th regiment...have you looked for him ?  :)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 November 14 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I can see by googling,,,that you have tried that route :)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TigerJan775

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 November 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I've drawn a blank on Thomas, I did find some records of his army service in the USA and Canada, where he was never a major, but I lost him after he was discharged before Edwin was born. I'm not sure what happened to Thomas after he came back to England in 1801, he would be in his late 50s in 1811 and I did wonder if somewhere along the way a generation had been skipped and Thomas was in fact his grandfather. All pure speculation but I'm sure many of us (myself included) have found a few white lies on b/m/d documents! Dublin is my first concrete lead  :)
BRATTAN, Lincolnshire
HULME, Lancashire
RAWLING, Yorkshire

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 14 09:14 GMT (UK) »
There are some Hawthorn baptisms in Dublin on www.irishgenealogy.ie but none for Edwin-
 http://tinyurl.com/pofqfpo

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline TigerJan775

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link :) Although it doesn't give me any information regarding Edwin, it does show Hugh Hawthorn(e), who was also in Kent in the 1841 census and who I thought might be a possible older brother of Edwin. I think I probably have to rule him out though as his parents were Archibald and Bridget. Edwin's father was given as Thomas on his marriage certificate, although from my investigations, Thomas would be in his late 50s when Edwin was born.
BRATTAN, Lincolnshire
HULME, Lancashire
RAWLING, Yorkshire