Author Topic: Ramsden-Crays  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ramsden-Crays
« on: Thursday 21 August 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Emma Rolleson baptised 17/9/1815 in Ramsden-Crays, Essex. Father John, Mother Rebecca. I can find no trace of her after this date. Can anyone help please? I am well aware that there are many variations on the spelling of the surname! I have come across about 30 to date.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsden-Crays
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
Are you certain about Emma? I have looked through the baptisms for St Mary, Ramsden Crays for the time and can only find these.

10 Jul 1810 John son of John and Rebecca Rolinson
6 Sept 1812 Rebecca daug of John and Rebecca Rolinson
12 Nov 1815 Sophie daug of John and Rebecca Rollison, labourer
14 Feb 1819 Joseph ????? son of John and Rebecca Rollison, labourer

I can't find a marriage for John and Rebecca in Ramsden Crays and I have looked through the burials for Emma but there is nothing.

Kevin
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that. Joseph was my Great Great Grandfather. I found Emma on Familysearch, but haven't managed to find her anywhere else, so it could possibly be mis-information. The only marriage I have been able to find for a John and Rebecca was in Rettendon, and I haven't been able to go any further back on John as I don't know where he was born. The correct family surname is actually Rolison, but there have been many variations on the name, which has/is a bit of a nightmare.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Could the reason be this

Sophia was baptised two months after the record for Emma, the only time I have found this to happen in my research is when twins are born, one was baptised at birth because she was not expected to live and the surviving twin baptised later

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Joseph 1819 is Joseph Henry  :)
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
The film number associated with the familysearch entry for Emma Rolleson is from the Bishops Transcripts, a search on the film number confirmed this.  It's possible it's missing from the original parish register as I have seen this before for a Lincolnshire parish, but it's also possible that its an error on the part of the person who wrote up the BTs from the original register.  It may be they muddled some entries if no further trace of her can be found. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
The 17 Sept 1815 Emma baptism from the parish register on SEAX is the daughter of John and Louisa Lazell of Ramsden Cray, labourer.  It's the only entry for that date.  I'd post a snippet but to get the year showing, I'd probably be infringing RC's rules on posting copyrighted images. ;)  While there are known to be errors in the parish registers, I think in this case it's more likely to be familysearch's indexing or the clerk who wrote up the BTs.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's help on this one-looks as if the mystery has been solved.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks