Author Topic: Cuthill of Shielhill Farm, Falkirk  (Read 3223 times)

Offline lesleyi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cuthill of Shielhill Farm, Falkirk
« on: Monday 16 June 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else researching Cuthill (or Cuthell) connected to Shielhill Farm in the rural part of Falkirk parish from c1700 to c1865? I have a long line of William Cuthills  married to (in order going back) Alison Russell (daughter of William Russell and Margaret Cuthill), Margaret Fleming (daughter of Gavin Fleming and Mary Gourlay), Margaret Cochrane, and Janet Wyse. Some were at Bannockburn in St Ninians for the later part of the 1700s, and the Wyse family were at Shielhill before the Cuthills became the tenants. Also connections to Mavis Bank Farm in Falkirk, and Gillandersland farm in Muiravonside.

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cuthill of Shielhill Farm, Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 14 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, I don't know if my Cuthill is related to yours, but my 4th Great Grandmother was Janet Cuthill (Cuthel) who married a George Salmond in about 1810.  They had many children in Balfron and Kilsyth, Stirling and Cambuslang, Lanark.  My line is through their son Peter Salmond.  I am aware of another son - John - who emigrated to America.  I know nothing more in relation to the Cuthill family though.  If you find a connection I would be happy to stay in touch and share if I find anything more.
Anne (Australia)
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline lesleyi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 June 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne
Any ideas about the parents for your Janet Cuthill?  Did she die in Scotland 1855 or later so that you can find her parents on her death certificate. No connection with any Salmond family so far in my family data and also no connection to the parishes you mentioned. May be a connection somewhere back in the early to mid 1700s
Regards
Lesley

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 June 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
My 6th great grandmother Elizabeth Manuel's first husband was Robert Salmon, Portioner of Balquhatstone, Slamannan, who died in 1685. She then married Robert Howie in 1686, and I am descended from this second marriage.

I have a Jean Cuthil who married John Waddell of Stanrigg, New Monkland, in 1775. I do not know who her parents were. Her family were James, Marion, William, Jean, John and Janet. John's parents were James and Marion, so Jean's were probably William and Jean.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Craigellachie19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 June 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Lesley I know nothing about Janet. I was given her and George Salmonds names by other researchers. I had only known about Peter Salmond and hadn't known anything about his birth till then. I don't know Janet or George's ages, birth dates deaths parents so hadn't tried ScotlandsPeople till I could narrow things down more. May just have to bite the bullet and see what I can find.
Forfarian thank you for your information. I will let you know if I can get back as far as you have gone and see if there is a connection
Anne

Offline lesleyi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hello again Anne
Before spending money on Scotland's People try to narrow down the possibilities by using the free FamilySearch website. Also if the likely birth death or marriage took place 1855 to 1875, the LDS has all these certificates on film (if you can access one of the places their films are available) - this is one of the best ways to sight Scottish certificates for these years + you have the bonus of being able to look through the whole film at no extra costs and perhaps discover other relatives - have you used these certificate films before? They are organised by county for each year with the parishes in alphabetical order (except for Ross & Cromarty and I think also Inverness - they have the mainland parishes first in order followed by the island parishes - not sure about Argyll but that county may also do this)
I have notes of quite a lot of other Cuthills I have come across when researching my own lot so if you get any further small clues about your Janet. If she married George Salmond in 1810 there is a chance that she died 1855 or later and you may be able to find a death certificate for her. LDS is not so good on deaths (but latest updates are improving) so possibly looking for a will on the free index on Scotland's People might be useful for you.
Unfortunately most of the Cuthill families in and around Stirlingshire have William, James, John, Alexander, Archibald for males and Margaret, Jean, Janet, Marion etc for females.
Regards
Lesley

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 14 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Lesley
Thank you for reminding me about FamilySearch website.  I had used them in the past, hit brick walls and hadn't been back in a while.  I believe there is a centre about 20 kms away where I can apparently go to to view films in Brisbane, but I believe the films have to be ordered in - and sometimes a name may be scattered over many films so I had been wanting to leave that as a last resort. From the Familysearch website today, it appears Janet Cuthill/Cuthel was born 4 August 1787 in Kilsyth, married George Salmon on 30 Nov 1810 and died 20 Sep 1838 in Glasgow. Her father appears to be:-
John Cuthill b 29 Dec 1757, m Elisabeth McAlister b 1765 on 5 Aug 1786 in Balfron. 
His father appears to be John Cuthill b 1735, m Ann Downie b 1736 on 20 May 1757 in Kilsyth. 
His parents appear to be John Cuthill b 1710 and Janet Gemmil b 1710 Kilsyth.  That's as far as I have been able to go on Familysearch.
I believe Elisabeth McAlister's parents may have been John Mcallester and Elizabeth Mitchel.
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline lesleyi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 June 14 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Alanna
Sorry your Janet died too early for statutory registration for a death certificate - I have the same problem with some of mine. We also seem to have a similar problem with the early 1700 as you have a line of John Cuthills going back in the Kilsyth area and I have a line of William Cuthills going back in the Falkirk area - I'm back to one where there are too many possible William Cuthills in the Falkirk & adjacent parishes to determine at present which is the correct one for my ancestor marrying Janet Wyse in the 1730s.
Good luck with your line and let me know if you find any links to the Falkirk area.
Regards
Lesley