Author Topic: Tottenham Court Road 1871  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Tottenham Court Road 1871
« on: Wednesday 14 September 05 14:56 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who could tell me who was living at 156 Tottenham Court Road in 1871.

Any help much appreciated
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Tottenham Court Road 1871
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 15:26 BST (UK) »
It's easier to ask whether "so and so" was living in the area as it's not as easy to look up an address as it is to search for people.

Can you give us details of who you are looking for, especially if you have found them in the 1881 census, give full information including birth dates and places, for everybody including parents/siblings/children.  We'll try to find them in 1871 for you.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 15:35 BST (UK) »
Living in 151 to 156 Tottenham Court Road were all servants, drapers, salesmen, cashiers etc.
RG10/211 Folio 7 Page 5 and quite a few more pages.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 15:43 BST (UK) »
I counted them & there are 293 people in 151 - 156 Tottenham Court Road, in folio 5 - 17 of RG10/211.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi MaryA and Meliora,

Wow!  I didn't realise there was such a multitude at 156. Among those I'm looking for a Roberts - sorry I don't have a Christian name or age, so I guess its looking for a needle in a haystack. Sorry to have put you through so much trouble.

Regards

Quarryman

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 September 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Come on, don't be so secretive, what's the mystery behind this address? Is it a man or a woman you are looking for and why don't you have a christian name?

I have on Page 12 a David J Roberts "All these are servants" "All these are unmarried" 25 Linen Draper N Wales Llanrhaiar

Mary

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 September 05 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi MaryA,

Sorry, no mystery - I am transcribing my grandfather's 1871 diary (he was a Victorian composer of hymn tunes, and at the Royal Academy of Music at the time) and he writes "received a letter from Roberts, 156 Tottenham Court Road". I am trying to pin the Roberts down to insert a footnote in the transcription, which forms part of his biography.

Regards

Quarryman

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 September 05 08:48 BST (UK) »
Well that sounds interesting of itself, it's good to know a bit of background and then it helps to know what I'm looking for.  Two thoughts - I wonder whether he meant "Robert" a first name rather than a surname so I'll take another look and see whether there is one, didn't check for that the first time and while looking I'll see whether any of them have an occupation connected with music or maybe rather instruments.

These people appear to me as if they are shop workers of various descriptions, as opposed to domestic servants, I'm assuming that they would all work for the one big shop, maybe somebody know knows the road could tell you what large shop is/was there, maybe a kind of "Grace Brothers" style department store.

On a slow computer at work at present, so it might take me a little while to browse through these, I'll let you know later if I find anything.
Mary

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 05 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hello, all,

Tottenham Court Road has always been the home to large stores, mainly Furniture Stores, Maples & Waring & Gillows, who were also manufacturers,  Heals was another & I think some of them also incorporated Linen Drapers.  There was also Shand Kydd, the wallpaper people, a Boxing Academy & a Brewery, associated with Meux the brewers, I believe.

At that time it was common practice for employees to live on the premises, "living over the shop", this is probably why there are so many people listed in the census.

Meliora
RIP 1927-2018

This information is Crown Copyright from National Archives.gov.uk