Author Topic: McLew's of St Ninians  (Read 16043 times)

Offline RobertCampbellPerthWA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLew's of St Ninians
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 January 14 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi David & jcmac

The David on the Balfron memorial stone is the son of Angus Campbell and Christian McLew.
Christian's parents were David McLew and Helen Rey. The grand parents were John McLew (b1706) and Jean McIndoe (b 1709) and John and Janet Rey. Her great grand parents were Henry McIndoe (b: 1685) and Margaret  McLquhon (b 1685)

There is a Janet McLew who is the sister of Christian McLew. However I have no firm details on her apart from born 1766 at Stirling.

I hope this helps
Bob

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 January 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob,
From the Balfron stone I have assumed David b.1732 is the father of Christian b.1762, John b.1764, Elizabeth b.1766 and Robert b.1768.
You have also noted a possible sister Janet b.1766 at Stirling.
From your source can you suggest how she fits in to the family above ?

From what details I have Walter McLew and Janet Neilson in Camoquhill (Balfron) have Anne b.1692, Christian b.1696, John b.1699 and Margaret b. ?  m.@1714 to David McLew, Keir of Balwill (Drymen). There may well have been other children of Walter/Janet.
You have noted a John b.1706.
From your source can you link John b.1699 and John b.1706 to the same Walter McLew ?
jcmac. 

Offline nettles123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 June 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
I too have a Moses McLew born  in Drymen, St Ninians in1794. His grandaughter, Winifred (married Arthur Chapman in Dunback, Otago, NZ) was my grandmother.

I see in the 1851 census he was listed as being in Howlands... is this the same as Howlands Rd

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 June 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
You can see Howlands just west of Bannockburn on OS map of 1860 (Stirlingshire sheet XVII - available on NLS web site). It was a small 'settlement' of a few houses, probably farm or other workers cottages. Howlands Rd is part of housing estate built around 1960's I'd guess.

Sandy

Offline nettles123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 June 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that was really helpful. I can also use these maps to find the other places Moses McLew worked at, including "Woods"

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 June 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
nettles123,
Drymen Parish and St.Ninians Parish are two parishes in Stirlingshire separated by some miles and several other parishes.
What details do you have for Moses ?
jcmac

Offline nettles123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 June 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
Moses McLew parents were Robert McLew (christened about 1760) Crotilvain and mother Mary Monteith (or Monteath) their banns were 27 Sep 1783 in Drymen.

Robert McLew's father was possibly David McLew  with possible parents Daniel McLew (in Drymen  1740-1744) and Elizabeth Lenny who married 26 Feb 1740 in Drymen. Elizabeth Lenny died by 1744 and Daniel remarried Janet Buchanan 19 May 1744.

Mary's father was possibly William Monteith of Miln of DUchray, Stirling who was dead by 1783

Moses born 10 Feb 1794 Drymen, was a living in Howlands and recorded as a "labourer at Woods" in the 1851 census and from 1861-79 a labourer of St Ninians. He died in 1879 at Gateside, St Ninians.

Two of his sons emigrated to New Zealand; Robert born 1838 came in 1858 and John (my great grandfather) born 1844 came in 1861 and settled not far from his brother at Dunback, Otago, NZ

Moses' wife was Katherine (Catherine, Caterine etc) McPherson born in 1813 in Killin, Perthshire and they married 13 Dec 1835 in St Ninians.

I am soon leaving NZ for Europe and will be visiting Scotland so I am hoping to see as many places where they were as possible. Thanks for you help the maps were great

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello nettles123,
As the McLew subject now covers more of Stirlingshire I thought it might help to note how the various posters were connected to a Moses McLew:-
Vertigo - Moses McLew b.@1799.
twoheadedkiwi - same Moses as Vertigo.
familygal - which Moses ?
jcmac - Moses McLew b.1794 Drymen s. of Robert McLew b.<1739 m.1783 Mary Monteath b.1751.
David Campbell - ???
RobertCampbellPerthWA - ???
nettles123 - Moses McLew b.1794 Drymen s. of Robert McLew b.@1760 m.1783 Mary Monteith.

Moses brother Robert b.@1785 is my direct forebear. However, there is an obvious discrepancy in which Robert was their father.
I have my Robert as the 5th.son of John McLew and Janet Lenny and it was this John McLew who bought Creitelvane in 1732.
Robert signs a document as a witness in 1753 so he must have been aged at least 14 (and probably older) at that time.

I can't see how we could both be correct - possibly neither !!! - but I do have a lot of additional information which I gathered over many years. If you are coming to Scotland and can keep in touch send me a PM and we can discuss later.
jcmac     

Offline nettles123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 June 14 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you tell me where Creitelvane was? I can't find it on a map

Thanks