Author Topic: WAUGH family genealogy  (Read 1671 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WAUGH family genealogy
« on: Thursday 04 September 14 21:00 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Robert Waugh/ Mary Main, married 1809, Slamannan.  Robert was the son of John Waugh/ Jean Arthur (from his death record). Mary was the daughter of William Main/ Janet Morton.
John Waugh/ Jean Arthur had at least two other sons, James 1790; John 1793.
There were three John Waughs that married in Slamannan at about the same time: John Waugh/ Marrion Gray 1828; John Waugh/ Janet Thomson 1829; John Waugh/ Jane Waugh 1830.
John Waugh (Marrion Gray) was the son of John Waugh/ Helen Russell. He farmed at New Mill Slamannan.
John Waugh (Jean Waugh) farmed at South Arnloss Slamannan.
John Waugh (Janet Thomson) farmed at North Arnloss Slamannan.
John Waugh/ Marrion Gray had a daughter Margaret who married Archibald Downs 1854,Slamannan
John Waugh/ Janet Thomson had a daughter Margaret who married Henry Taylor 1858, Slamannan.
Does anyone have any knowledge of these Waugh families. I’m having trouble sorting them out, and I would like to be able to make a connection to my MAIN family research.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline sjmf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WAUGH family genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 February 22 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I have just picked up family research after quite a few years. I am trying to find our more about a Marion Main who married Ludovic Thomson (he was born about 1715)
Their granddaughter Janet Thomson (1805 to 1873) and another granddaughter Janet Bain Thomson (1867-1937) both married into separate parts of the Waugh family.

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WAUGH family genealogy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Waugh (c1830-1873) who married Archibald Downs (1824-1868) in 1854 in Slamannan is in my family tree. Archibald Downs was a brother of my g-g-g-grandmother Helen Downs (1813-1864). They had 7 children that I know of. I have not followed the Waugh line any further back than Margaret. Other than her parents' names, the one other nugget of information on Margaret's death certificate is the informant, Robert Taylor, uncle. I don't know if that is any help to you (or if you already had that information).

ADP