Author Topic: Whittet  (Read 16094 times)

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whittet
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 April 11 01:32 BST (UK) »
I think its reasonable to extend your George and Alexander back through that source to James b December 1704. The Earliest Weittet in the Whittet Book, James, is established in Perth c 1635. Naming conventions suggest a link as Grandparent. First there aren't much more than 1st cousins for Whittets in Perth, Dundee, or Coupar Angus, regardless of spelling. Secondly the issue agrees:
Issue.

1. John, born January 8, 1660.

2. Margaret, born November 13, 1663.

3. James, born August 26, 1666.

4. Christian, born January 23, 1669.

5. Robert, born September 3, 1671.

6. Andrew, born August 15, 1674.

Third, I think exploration of the naming variations and conventions supports the connection

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 April 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
I'll do some extensive research at New Register House when I get a chance, to double-check your source and prove to myself that the people in the book actually existed. :)
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 April 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
Going back to the bleaching fields on the dichtie:

Extracts from the Lord Treasurer's accounts, having reference to the burgesses of Dundee who suffered for the reformed opinions, 1538-9. The paragraphs in brackets are translated from the Latin originals.

203 Item, furth of ane other myln perteining to ye laird of fyntrie, occupiet be Thomas Quhittet, Lyand on dichtie, To ye Choristaris zeirlie Threttie ss. iiij d.; And furth of ye sam myln to ye Rwid Chaiplanrie zeirlie twentie sex ss. viij d.

(I expect a furth of ane myln is a quarter knights fee [square mile] or about 160 acres.)

But Dundee was fortunate in having one of the best trout streams in Scotland within an hour's walk of the Cross o' Dundee; I mean the Dighty, or "Dichtie," as the natives call it. About the beginning of the century it was a wonderful stream for trout, in numbers, size, and quality, two and three-pounders being not uncommon.

But the bleachfields had begun to tell a sad tale before I began the gentle art. Still, some parts of the stream were till lately fairly good, and wonderful takes were at times got. Now, I may say, all is barren. Salmon roe and other vile ways of killing fish were almost as much to blame as the bleachfields for the ruin of the trout fishing on the Dichtie.

As a matter of curiosity, Given the quarter myle on the dichtie or salmon stream that became the bleaching grounds and was apparently located somewhere near what is now the island in the Tay with King James VI golf club in Perth I wonder if there is some linkage between White (with all its variations) and bleached white.

google image removed , as per rootschat policy , to avoid any problems with copyright and T & C of other sites

you can provide a link to the relevant image

ev

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 April 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
There is another George, son of Mary Whittet in about the same time and place but not quite so good a match, no Alexander.
Could I get more information about this George? I shouldn't have mentioned Alexander originally, as I haven't verified the link.

Also a quick search on IGI throws up no results for a James Whittet/Whytock (or any other variations) born in 1704, but there's a James WITTET born 5 Nov 1699 in Forgandenny, Perthshire, son of Robert, and one James WITTIT born 6 Oct 1700 in Dron, Perthshire, son of Andrew Wittit and Janet Mershall.

Andrew and Janet had the following children, all born in Dron:

William b 1699
James b 1700
Janet b 1702
John b 1705
Andrew b 1708

Andrew (husband of Janet Mershall) was born 1674 in Dunbarney, Perthshire. He was the son of James WEITTIT and Margaret Brews.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 April 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople has a James Whittet (variation thereof) born 14th December 1704 in Kinnaird.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
Focusing on the occupation of the Dichtie which runs not from Perth as I at first supposed but from Dundee, marked today by the Dichtie Strathan Martine running north from the University of Aberfedy, there are a number of Whittet's with various spellings Quhittet, Quhittit, Whittet, Whyte, involved in the Mill which lands are referred to as a furth myle on the dichtie and the Hospital further up stream with three oxengangs as Burgers and Counselors of Dundee between 1420 and 1834.

The Town had purchased from Scrymgeour of Dudhope, Constable of Dundee, in 1612, the Mill and Mill Lands of Baldovan, and these were long held by the Town; and it will be seen from the various early Crown Charters the Town had the right of Thirlage or exclusive right of grinding corn for the Town and district. These Mills and Mill Lands and Thirlage were sold by public roup by the Town on 19th December, 1827, to the Baker Trade, at the price of £4,000, with £100 of yearly feu-duty, and redeemable except to the extent of £8 6s. 8d. yearly. The Mills latterly became the property of Mr. William Harris, and now belong to Sir John Ogilvy, Bart., who holds the same of the Town, for payment to the Town of the annual unredeemed feu-duty of £8 6s. 8d.—the feu-duty of £100 having, except to this extent, been redeemed.

By a Minute of Sale, dated 28th May, 1621, betwixt David Grahame of Fyntrie and Spouse and the Provost, Magistrates, and Council of Dundee, and Deacons of Crafts, he sold to the Town "All and Haill thais his thrie Corne Mylnis of y° Maynes of Erlis-Stradichtie, situat upon ye water of Dichtie, quhairoff ane is presentlie occupyit be Jhone Jackson and James Jobson, and y3 uyer twa are presentlie occupyit be James Quhittit and Walter Scott, with the haill geir of y° saidis Mylnis as they are presentlie gangand, with all the damis, leadis, intakkis, and watter gaugis of y* saidis thrie Mylnis, togedder also with the water slousses and previleges yairoff, &c, as also the schelling hill of yi-' foresaid Myln occupyit be the said Jhone Jackson, lyand upone ye south syed of y* said lead, betwix y* samyne lead and corne land of y° said Maynes of Erlis-Stradichtie: Lykas thrie acris of arable landis of his Maynes of Erlis-Stradichtie lyand contiguous with the saidis Mylnis," with various privileges and passages, all as therein mentioned, lying in the Parochine of Mains, Regality of Kirriemuir, and Sheriffdom of Forfar,—To be holden feu for a yearly payment of £100 Scots.

This Mill is now, it is believed, held by Mr. Tyrell, who pays to the Town the annual feu-duty of 60 pounds Scots, or £5 sterling.

By Contract of Feu, dated 26th May, 1735, and recorded in the Burgh Court Books 8th October, 1756, the Town, for a consideration of 1200 merks Scots, sold to the Wauker Trade of Dundee "All and Haill that our Walk Mi In, formerly a Corn Miln, being the midmost of these three Corn Milns purchased by the Town of Dundee from the deceased David Graham of Fintry, and commonly called the Midle Miln, with the arable land belonging thereto, sometime possesst by James Whittet, lying upon the Water of Deightie, as the same is presently possessed by the Walker Trade, with the hail gearage of said Miln as she is presently going, with all and sundry Dams, intacks, leads, water gaugs yrof, w* the privilege of winter slouses upon the east parts and sides of said leads, and with all and sundry houses, biggings, yards, and pertinents of same," for, in addition, a yearly feu-duty of £5 Scots payable to the Town of Dundee therefor.

This Mill is now held by Cargill & Co., Bleachers, and is still known by the name of the Mid Mill; and they pay the annual feu-duty to the Town of Hs. 4d. sterling.

The Westraost Mill and Mill Lands (known latterly by the name of Fountainbleau) were sold by the Town's Trustees to Mr. Erskine of Linlathen and Fintry in 1852 for £950, and he to be bound to relieve the Town of the feu-duty of £100 Scots payable to the Laird of Fintry by the original Feu-Contract above-mentioned in 1621.

In this way the Town's Mills, which for many years were a source of considerable revenue to the Town, have all been disposed of.

---

5 Aug?, 1728.—Alex. Robertson moved in Councill, that there was one Mary Geddy, a Manty maker, who was come of respectable parents of this place, whom the Taylor trade impeded from working in this brugh,—which the Councill considering, appoint Conveener Whittet to commune w* the taylor trade, & see if he can get her & the taylor trade agreed, & report.

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
Blair, Patrick Yeaman, and George Crocket, present Bailies of the said Burgh of Dundee; Thomas Mudie, Dean of Gild; Patrick Tod, Treasurer thereof; and James Whyte, Deacon Convener of the Trades of the said Burgh, ...of date the twenty-fifth day of May, one thousand six hundred and seventy-two (1672)

---

Ratification, Agreement, and Obligation between the Provost, Magistrates, and Council and the Nine Incorporated Trades, as to their privileges, and their paying towards the Stipend of the Ministers of th/s Burgh. In Council Minute of 24th Septetnber, 1699.

'I SHE said day, the Provost, Bailies, and remanent members of Councell taking to their serious consideration ane petition given in to them be James Whyte, present Deacon Conveener of ye craftes of ye said Burgh of Dundie

6th May, 1707.—Appoints ye drum to goe through ye toune Discharging all Breuars to vend or sell any ale till first they enter ye same w? Conveener Whyte and he survey ye broust, under yc penalty of six pound Scots each persone who shall vend or sell w*out entry & survey; and any persone abstracting any of ye broust of ale befor entry shall be lyable in the value of the broust.

Offline Whittet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
Re: your question about Mary Whittet, I found this upstream.

Marjory Whittet Death Cert 1871 Dundee
« on: Saturday 20 March 10 18:45 GMT (UK) »    Reply with quote
I have a death cert for Mary Whittet who died in Dundee in 1871.

Aged 24. Married to David Whittet

Parents listed as James Miller and Janet Miller - Maiden name Milne

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 April 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry, how can that Mary Whittet be the potential mother of my George when he was born c1775 and this Mary died in 1871?
All countries/counties

Scotland

England