Author Topic: Looking for Christian Sinclair- Montrose pre 1789  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Christian Sinclair- Montrose pre 1789
« on: Thursday 15 March 12 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am trying to trace the parentage/family of Christian Sinclair- who married John Laing in Montrose on 27 Sept 1789.

Christian and John had a large family:
William Born Logie Pert in 1791
John born Logie Pert in 1793
Jean or Jane born St Cuthberts Edinburgh in 1795
David born St Cuthberts Edinburgh in 1797
James born St Cuthberts Edinburgh 1800
Ann born St Cuthberts Edinburgh in 1802
Margaret born St Cuthberts Edinburgh 1805

Christian died in 1821 aged 54 years- she died in Edinburgh as is described as the wife of John Laing- shoemaker.

As they married in Montrose, and the earlier children were born in Logie Pert- I am assuming Christian was most likely from that area?? But I am not sure.

The family moved to Edinburgh around 1794.

Several of the children appear to have moved to London (William, Margaret, James definately, and Jean/Jane possibly)- I am not sure if their father John Laing remained in Edinburgh, returned to Montrose or also moved to London.

On the baptism records, Christian is listed as surname 'Sinclair' and also 'St Clair' or 'St Clare'.

Any ideas on tracing her before her marriage to JOhn Laing please?

Many thanks
Kylie

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Christian Sinclair- Montrose pre 1789
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 March 12 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could this be your Christian Sinclair.

Name: Christian Sinclair 
Baptism/Christening Date: 28 May 1767 
Baptism/Christening Place: CALLANDER,PERTH,SCOTLAND 
Birth Date: 25 May 1767 
Father's Name: Donald Sinclair 
Mother's Name: Murray Mcarthur 

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 March 12 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much-
That is the right year based on her age at death.
Would it be reasonable to think she could have been born in Callander- and ended up in Montrose marrying John Laing 22 years later?

Murray is an unusual first name for her mother- any ideas? COuld it be a family name?

Thanks again- any more thoughts would be very welcome!!

Kylie

Offline barrymore23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 June 14 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie
I'm trying to figure out if the John Laing born in Logie Pert is my gg grandfather. I have copies of his army discharge papers which have him born in Arbroath in 1793 however I've not found a record of that birth but "your" John Laing in the only one I can find born in the correct year and county. According to my research he married Marion Bruce and had at least one child named John Bruce Laing.

does this fit with any of your research?

Regards
John

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 June 14 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Apart from knowing he was born in Logie Pert in 1793, I don't know anything else for sure about my John Laing. I have a couple of possible marriages- but none confirmed.

Do the army discharge papers you have give any other clues at all?

Have you checked out the possible marriage- again any clues in there such as fathers name/occupation??

Let me know what you know about your John Laing and I will go back through all my possibles and see what we can come up with- feel free to PM me if that's easier!
Kylie

Offline barrymore23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 June 14 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie

Thanks for quick response. Apparently I can't PM until I've done 3 posts so here's No 2!
The only additional info from the army discharge papers that seem to be relevant is that his profession is given as a bookbinder which sounds like something he might have done as a lad perhaps following his father as it seems unlikely to be a trade he learned in the army!
He was discharged in 1818 and returned to Edinburgh. As I said earlier he then married Marion Bruce (previously TOD) in Stirling in 7/7/1833.
There were 2 children that we know, John Bruce Laing b 1836 and William Laing b 1841
I have more on the later generations if you think them relevant

Regards
John

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 14 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Is there any further information on the marriage to Marion Bruce such as a fathers name or occupation of father?? Or witnesses??

Are there any other Army records- such as actual joining papers- you could check that might give his address, or family details (normally a next of kin is needed I think- at least on more modern records) that might help us out??

Its not enough to confirm the connection- but if 'my' John and yours are one and the same, then at least one of his brothers was also a book binder....possibly family occupation? 2 brothers- James and William- moved to London, as well as at least one, possibly 2 sisters from my family. I am not sure about the siblings who remained in Scotland.

Also the other son being William- again its a common name, but also a family one for 'my' Laings.....so possibly!!

Let me know if you have anything more and hopefully we can work it out :-)
Kylie

Offline barrymore23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 14 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie

Yes a little more about the Laing Bruce marriage. Firstly I made a mistake in one of my earlier messages. The marriage was in St Cuthberts Edinburgh not Stirling (that was where the bride was from). Her father was Wiliam Bruce a (black)Smith. She was the widow of Alexander Tod a Weaver.
John Laing's address is Little King Street.
According to my family lore/history their son John Bruce Laing joined the army (details unknown) and fought in the Crimean war. His brother also fought and I have an India medal showing him in the 92nd Gordon Highlanders.
Both of them ended up in Australia (where he founded my direct line) although apparently John Bruce returned to Edinbugh where he died and is buried in Warrington cemetery.

Are we getting closer?

Regards
John

Offline partoon_researcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching the Partoon Surname WorldWide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 June 14 03:47 BST (UK) »
Possible record for Christian

SINCLAIR, Christian   
Christening