Author Topic: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee  (Read 21834 times)

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee
« on: Sunday 07 July 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Does anyone know of any sources to find information on the following:

- Employee records for Jute Mills in dundee (Particularly mills around the Annfield Road area of Dundee) I have several generations of my family which were involved in the mills and it would be good to see a bit more detail about them if possible.
- Employee records for any Iron Works again in the Annfield Road area as I have an Iron Turner working in the area in the early 1900's.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
For background, the previous thread is here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,653069.0.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 13 20:09 BST (UK) »
For background, the previous thread is here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,653069.0.html

Gadget

Not limited to just those few ancestors though. I'm looking at Forsyth's, Stewart's, Goodall's and Nicoll's from the Dundee area all association to the Jute and Iron trades.

Best Regards,

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

It might be worth listing the various ancestors with dates, etc.,  so that members can focus in on the ones that are relevant  :)

From the last thread, the Goodalls were origianlly from Fife (Auchtermuchty/Kirkcaldy) and the Stewarts were from Dundee.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

It might be worth listing the various ancestors with dates, etc.,  so that members can focus in on the ones that are relevant  :)

From the last thread, the Goodalls were origianlly from Fife (Auchtermuchty/Kirkaldy) and the Stewarts were from Dundee.

Gadget

Ofcourse, sorry I've listed a few below to get started - also looking for general sources of information as well though. I'm willing to put the effort in to research any leads, I don't expect everyone else to have to do all the work.

With regards to Iron Turners I have a William Nicoll Stewart born 2 November 1897 and lived at 10 Annfield Street, Dundee. He went to Chicago in the early 1920's to visit a friend by the name of Samuel Hall. Not sure on his return journey, however he married Isabella Forsyth in 17 September 1930 at Elmslea, Scoonie, Fife - therein they lived in Fife until William died in 1959 and Isabella in 1983. I know William also worked at the Balfour Iron Works in Leven at some point (probably later on in his life).

Slightly more generic on the Jute workers in Dundee - otherwise this post will go on for ever!

From the Stewarts I have -
 William Reid Kennedy (Husband of William Nicoll Stewarts sister Jeanie) - Worked as a clerk first of all then a Mill Manager for A. Yule & Co in Calcutta, India.
 James Stewart (William Stewarts Father) - Power Loom Tenter (Lived at 244 Blackness Road, Dundee) James was born 1864.
 Jeanie Stewart (Nee Nicoll) (James Wife) - Jute Weaver Born 1864.
 James's father John Stewart - Factory Overseer (Born 1841)
 John's son Peter Stewart - Mill Mechanic (Born 1892)
 Jeanie Nicoll's father James Nicoll - Yarn Dresser (Born 1838)

That's probably enough to get started with, any information greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need anything clarified or more information.

Best Regards,

Martin

Offline grneyedgypsy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 January 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Im related to Forsyth's from Dundee that worked at the Jutemills & Iron Foundry.

Offline scottishmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 January 14 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Im related to Forsyth's from Dundee that worked at the Jutemills & Iron Foundry.

Hi grneyedgypsy,

I'd be interested in hearing more about your connection with the Forsyth's working in the Jute Mills and Iron Foundry. Although my Forsyth's originate from Fife, my connection is to the Stewart's from Dundee who married into my Forsyth family from Fife.

I'd be happy to share any information if there is a common connection somewhere along the line.

Best Regards,

Martin

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 January 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I emailed the Jute museum in Dundee to get an idea of where to go to get employment information and still have no reply. I know David West Leighton worked in Jute I think on the ships and haven't got a clue where to confirm.
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline susan j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 January 14 12:06 GMT (UK) »
hi!
You should remember that a huge number of men from Dundee went to work in the mills in India. Also I have relatives who went from Dundee to Fife to work in the flaxmills.
Good luck with your jute workers Heritage...it's really fascinating!
Susan
Brown Burns and Brush Dundee; Thomson and Brown Perth; Burnett Fraser Sim and Burns Aberdeenshire; Stewart and Haggart Perth and Dundee; Barclay perthshire; Brown and Proctor, Mass. USA; Robertson Selkirk, Jedburgh; Scott Selkirk and Roxburghshire; Gill India/Australia/England