Author Topic: John Farrow  (Read 10743 times)

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella not found
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 October 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Blinshall, can't find her in the Angus MIs.  She's not among the MacKay/McKays listed in the Howff; Constitution Road; Western; Eastern; Lochee Road, Logie; or Barnhill cemeteries.

Can't find her death on Scotlandspeople, either.  Hope someone else might be able to help.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Farrow
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 October 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does Isabella's year of birth 1774 tie in with her age on previous Censuses?
There is a Isabella Mackay died 1863 Dundee but she is registered as 76 years old (d.o.b circa 1787). That's a big difference but perhaps an error was made??

Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 October 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Was Mackay her maiden as well as her married name?

There is an Isabella Murray, other surname Crawford, mother's surname Herd, died in Dundee in 1862 aged 88, which puts her birth in 1773/4. Though I can't account for the omission of Mackay if that is her!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 October 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Looby's found her, I think...if other confirming details emerge.  John McKay, her son, is the informant of her death in Dundee; aged 76, in 1863.  She was the widow of Donald McKay.  Her parents were George McKay and Elizabeth McKay, maiden name Gordon. 

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 October 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

The only record of Isabella is on the 1861 census and the dates certainly are a long way out, but I think that you have found her if we go by names eg son John and late husband, Donald.  I found the registration on Scotlandspeople and although I might have expected her address to be different - what I think is Fenton's Close Murraygate, her son's address in 1861 census is Buckelmaker's Wynd, whereas when he marries it is Cardyne's Close.I am trying to find confirming evidence in previous census, 41 and 51. the closest I have got is Old Machar, Old Aberdeen where her son was married in 1845, but I am not convinced as yet about this.  Anyway, I have spent many hours over the last years trying to find Isabella and I'm glad I didn't give up as I think we have her.  Many thanks.  Blinshall

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Mackay
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 October 13 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Breacky,

Thank you for those details about Isabella.  It certainly sounds quite possible that she is the one. You do wonder how the dates in the 1861 census could have been so wrong.  I also wonder about the place of birth details 'Melvich, Sutherland' as to whether they are correct.  However on his son, Donald's birth registration in 1855, John Mackay states that he was born in Melvich, Caithness.
Where did you find the details about Isabella?  Was it on the Angus MI's.  Did it happen to have a date of death for her husband, Donald?  This has been very exciting as I have searched for some time for Isabella and it looks pretty convincing, however. I will need to work on finding some more confirming data.  Many thanks for your help,   Blinshall.

Offline Blinshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Mackay
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 October 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Thanks for your interest.  I think we have found her!  Blinshall.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 October 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
I'm pleased we seem to have located Isabella.
Her age is certainly questionable! It could be that her son John was not exactly sure of his mother's age when he registered her death and he took a guess. Or it might be that whoever supplied the info for the 1861 Census did the same!
Finding her on the 1841 & 1851 Census will not be easy. Do you know when husband Donald dies?
Looby  :)

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 October 13 16:44 BST (UK) »
The death certificate from Scotlandspeople for Isabella has that she is the widow of Donald, but that's the only mention of him.

I can find only two Donalds so far.  Freereg has a death for a Donald Mckay in Arbroath with his burial date as 28 Dec 1847.   Went back to the Angus MI for Arbroath Abbey - he is there, died 22.12.1847 but aged 78, with his wife Mary dying, aged 77, in 1852. (It mentions his son John as dying in 1846 aged 51 in Jamaica).

Scotlandspeople has a death in 29.11.1847 at Dundee for a Donald McKay, but I haven't tried to view it.

The Tay Valley Family History Society publishes a small booklet - "A genealogist's guide to closes, squares, lanes, entries, &., in Old Dundee", by June Stewart.  It has Fenton's close listed as "70 Murraygate";  Bucklemaker Wynd is "from the foot of Hilltown to Dens Road".