Author Topic: Vimy Ridge Training Farm Near Guelph Ontario  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Oys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vimy Ridge Training Farm Near Guelph Ontario
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Through research I have found that my father Robert Andrew Irwin (b 1911) came to Canada June 29th 1929 on the Andania
He was sent to the Vimy Ridge Farm in Puslinch and from there he was assigned to a farmer
It was extremely difficult to get my dad to talk about leaving Ireland and how he came to be in Canada but he did say that  the farmer was good to him and bought him a warm coat and boots.  Is there a record of him at Vimy Ridge?  Is there a way to trace his whereabouts after leaving Vimy Farm ..specifically can I find the name of the family he was assigned to?  I have the pamphlet he was given by the church wishing him well in his new homeland and his letter of introduction to his new church.  I also have his certificate of graduation from the program dated 1932 that indicates he was a good worker and of fine character  Any advice would be appreciated   thanks Joyce

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vimy Ridge Training Farm Near Guelph Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
He would have come as a "Farm Boy" ...Here is a link to an extensive thread on the subject from a few years ago  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=548373.0

also  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=548373.0
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Oys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 14 01:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying.  I did find that thread and followed the leads they provided. Before posting on this site I contacted the Guelph Library and they sent me a newspaper clipping talking about Vimy Ridge when it was a rehab facility for soldiers.  At the archives I found the passenger lists which is how I learned my dad had been on the Andania and  gone to Vimy Ridge.  I am a beginner at this and have not been able to navigate the Archives smoothly or find records from the farm so I have emailed the Archives asking if Vimy Ridge Farm records exist showing the farmer to whom each boy was assigned.  I know dad went to a farm near Guelph and was well treated.   Thanks once again for your suggestion.

Offline molsonmutt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I currently own the farm that your father lived at for training- Vimy Ridge Farm

I have a bunch of paperwork related to the boys that came over...will look through the files.

Where do you currently live?

Offline molsonmutt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 16:56 GMT (UK) »
If you would like a tour of the property, just let me know. The dormitory where he would have slept is still intact.

Offline Oys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 December 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much I would very much like to take you up on the offer of a tour