Author Topic: Which name for Rachel wife of Robert Rennie - Quebec Canada  (Read 16122 times)

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which name for Rachel wife of Robert Rennie - Quebec Canada
« on: Friday 22 August 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Some background info - Robert came to Quebec from Kilsyth in Scotland sometime in the 1820s with his brother Henry - have not found any passenger lists for them.
Robert married (unknown date - unable to find on Drouin Collection or in the Southwestern Quebec Genealogical resources Parish records) a Rachel. The family were around the Hemmingford area.
In the various records for the childrens' births or burials her name has been given as follows:
James 1828, John Graham 1831 & Robert 1832 - Rachel and for James' burial Rachel Simoe;
there is another child in this group that I cannot find a Henry Joseph born c 1835 - on certificates in Australia he indicated his birthplace as Hemmingford British North America or Canada.
For Alexander 1837, Simon 1839, William 1843, Margaret and Mary 1849 her name is given as Archance.
In her burial record 1856 her name is given as Rachel Dinaud/Dinand (I think it is Dinaud) and on her headstone she is named Rachel Jeremie a native of Laprairie PQ. She is buried with her husband Robert died 1857 (native of Kilsyth Co Stirling Scotland on headstone) and her children James, Alexander and John Graham and his wife Lavinia Fosburgh. They are buried in the Cemetery of the Russeltown Church in Russeltown  Flats.
Does anyone know why she has so many different names and would she be using the French system of "Dit" and if so which one would be her "Dit" name? If I can find what exactly her name is I may be able to find out more about her & her family and perhaps marriage record for her.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!
Regards
Suzee
BAILEY: Eng. & Aust; MURPHY: Ire & Aust; McDONALD: Sct & Aust; McMAHON: Mon Ire & Aust; BERRY: Ire & Aust; McCRONE/McCROHAN: Ire, Eng & Aust; PUNCH: Cork Ire & Aust & NZ; GREENWAY: Ire; RENNIE: Stirling Sct, Quebec Canada & Aust & NZ; JANZ: Ger & Aust; HYDE: Ire & Aust; HINCHEY: Dub Ire & Aust; GEAGHAN: Galway Ire & Aust; GOUDIE: Shet Is, Sct & Aust & NZ;

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Which name for Rachel wife of Robert Rennie - Quebec Canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 14 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzee,

HAve you contacted the local LDS family history library or genealogy group in that area? They may be able to shed some light on this.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 August 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi jdc
No I haven't contacted either group yet but I suspect that will be happening quite soon. I thought I would test the waters here first.
Regards
Suzee
BAILEY: Eng. & Aust; MURPHY: Ire & Aust; McDONALD: Sct & Aust; McMAHON: Mon Ire & Aust; BERRY: Ire & Aust; McCRONE/McCROHAN: Ire, Eng & Aust; PUNCH: Cork Ire & Aust & NZ; GREENWAY: Ire; RENNIE: Stirling Sct, Quebec Canada & Aust & NZ; JANZ: Ger & Aust; HYDE: Ire & Aust; HINCHEY: Dub Ire & Aust; GEAGHAN: Galway Ire & Aust; GOUDIE: Shet Is, Sct & Aust & NZ;

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 August 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
The 1825 census of Laprairie, Longueuil, Huntingdon, Quebec has Francois Denaut Dit Jeremy as shown here:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-11706-8678-35?cc=1834346&wc=M6P1-WNT:162681301,162701401

This has to be one of your Rachel's relatives.

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 August 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Manawakian
thank you for that link - I came across that census last week but was unsure of the relevance due to my lack of knowledge on the "dit" system and all the different names that Rachel used.
This is information I will now pursue - thank you.
Regards
Suzee

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 August 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Keep in mind   re: surnames of the French   Woman unmarried as well as married were often known by or  using their maiden names . Scotland indexes women by their maiden names as well as married.

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mona Lisa
thanks for that tip re French surnames - was there any protocol as to when the French women either used their surname or dit name. Did the dit system also occur with given names?
Regards
Suzee

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 August 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting article here re colonial Quebec surnames:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~unclefred/DitNames.html

In the 1851 census it appears that the Denaut or Denault name was used without the dit Jeremy.

Offline suzee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 August 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Manawakian - that was a great resource link also the info in the 1851 census
Regards
Suzee