Author Topic: Lockhart at Almonte, Ontario  (Read 3429 times)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lockhart at Almonte, Ontario
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
John Lockhart, wife Jane McMillan, and daughters Elexis, Ann and Margaret, were among the Lanark settlers in 1821 at Ramsay Township, near Ottawa.

Jane, the wife, died on 6 Jan 1837, her burial details unknown.

John Lockhart died on 21 Feb 1871, buried at Auld Kirk Cemetery, Almonte, Ontario.

Elexis (or Alexis), their eldest daughter, is said to have died in 1840, age 24.  But is there actual evidence of her death?  Probably she would be buried near her mother, who died just three years earlier.  Can anyone confirm the daughter's burial?

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lockhart at Almonte, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=628863.0

Have you followed up on the Alexis Lockhart indexed in Auld Kirk by contacting the contributing agency for grave details?
There are books written on cemeteries in Ontario.  Have you looked up any of these books online for titles and contacted libraries around the area for a lookup in their library holdings?
Libraries are usually very helpful places.  I think you will be able to find this information for yourself by contacting a few places.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Contributing agency? Not sure what you mean.  I'm in Victoria, on the west coast, no idea whom to contact, hence put the question here.  If you can suggest a book title, maybe could order that via interlibrary loan.  Thank you.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
Look up the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid (OCFA)
In the search engine enter Lockhart and Alexis and her entry will show up.  Take down the details from that entry and go back to the home page and there it tells you which contributing agency to contact for details on grave transcriptions.
If you google Auld Kirk you get a few book titles and authors that you can then refer when contacting libraries in the area.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid shows Alexis was buried at Auld Kirk Cemetery, Almonte, but does not show date or burial location.   

The reference to her name only says “LCGS” (Lanark County Genealogical Society).  I wrote to them years ago, got no reply, will try again.

There are photos online from Auld Kirk Cemetery, showing these Lockharts:

- John Lockhart, died Feb 21, 1871, buried in block A;

- Jane McMillan, wife of John Lockhart, died Jan 6, 1837, buried in block B;

- Jessie Lockhart, 1858-1948, buried in block C;

- John W. Lockhart, 1877-1937, buried in block D;

- Madeline Lockhart, 1906-1985, buried in block D;

- Arthur Lockhart, 1893-1969, and wife Lyla Bennett, 1894-1975, buried in block E;

- William Edgar Lockhart, 1882-1955, and wife Jean Houston, 1884-1956, buried in block E;

- Archie C. Lockhart, 1918-1974, and wife Margaret E. Lindsay, 1913-1997, buried in block E.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
The OCFA is simply a finding aid.  It gives no burial details for any of its entries.  It leaves details up to individual contributing agencies.  I have requested information on entries and have always met with success. 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 03:20 BST (UK) »
Did you ever contact the Lanark Genealogical Society for details on the headstone for Alexis.

Offline Carpian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
Greetings from the Carp Valley
I ran across RootsChat while doing further research on my favourite Cemetery, The Auld Kirk, near Almonte. In fact I wrote a book on this cemetery.
As for Alexis Lockhart she appears on Stone 323 in the B Range of the Cemetery
The Stone reads as follows:

Plots B180 to B209
323. Margaret CAVERS died Dec 28, 1848 Æ 28 yrs
       William LOCKHART died June 26, 1851 age 24 yrs
       Jane LOCKHART died Apr 5, 1866 Æ 41 yrs
       Jane McMILLAN wife of John LOCKHART died Jan 6, 1837 Æ ??
       Alexis LOCKHART died Oct 30, 1840 Æ 24 yrs
       Agnes LOCKHART died Aug 19, 1844 Æ 12 yrs
       Ann McGregor died Nov 29, 1847 Æ 27 yrs.

Unfortunately, there was no further information found, for the paper of record for the area, The Almonte Gazette only started in October 1867

I will be reviewing my research notes on the Lockharts that are buried in the Auld Kirk

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 October 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your contribution Carpian.  I'm quite sure that heiserca will be happy to receive your information in order to put to rest at least one theory on the origin of his/her ancestor.