Author Topic: William & Margaret Thompson in Brampton, Peel County, Ontario, Canada  (Read 3898 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William & Margaret Thompson in Brampton, Peel County, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 August 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
Millicent Myrtle's obit also says Brampton Cemetery.  She was the mother of Homer and Gordon, both of Brampton.  Sister of Mable Pollock of Greenway, Ontario.  Had 8 grandchildren and great grandchildren.  She died at Peel Memorial Hospital on Nov 14 1966. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 August 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I checked Homer's obit to see if it mentioned military service.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  This, of course, doesn't mean that he wasn't in the military.  I was hoping for an answer for you...  :'(

Homer died Feb 8 1990.  His obit doesn't mention military service (but that.  He had 3 daughters and a son (names mentioned in the obit - but I will omit here, because they are all likely living).

RK 

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 August 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
Great information. Thank you so much. I have not been able to find out anything about James Gordon Thompson (marriage, death) other than his military career that is posted on this site. From your notes it shows that he was alive at the time of his mother's death. I just checked the "findagrave" at Brampton Cemetery, but not all interments are listed. Is it possible to obtain copies of their obituaries?

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 August 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found a more detailed obit for Amos Wellwood Thompson.  In the Globe and Mail on Sept 26 1949.  Page 37.  I don't know if you have seen this or not.  The title of the piece is 19 Years Manager of Shoe Company.

The highlights are... that Amos Wellwood Thompson died at his home at 3 Peel Street, Brampton.  For 19 years he had been the manager of Hewetson Shoes Ltd.  He was born in Brighton and went to Western Canada as a young man.  He joined the firm of Ames, Holden and McCready Co, shoes in Winnipeg, then became general manager of that firm in Montreal.  He went to Toronto and was associated with B F Goodrich Rubber Company of Canada.  Later, he went to Kitchener and was the manager of the Consolidated Felt Company.  He was an Elder at Grace United Church, Brampton.  He leaves his wife, Millicent Myrtle Foster, and two sons James Gordon and George Homer of Brampton.  Also sisters Mrs Mable Searle and Mrs Charlotte MacDonald, both of Vancouver.  A son, F.O. Thomas Wellwood Thompson was killed during WW2.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 August 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
hi,

I don't see anything about James Gordon either.  I will keep looking though.

You can find the obits on the ProQuest media site.  It is a paid site, but not very expensive. 

RK

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 August 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Here's Millicent Myrtle aka Milly in 1901 with father Joseph Foster and mother Susan aka Susannah Kennedy

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1901/z/z002/jpg/z000081836.jpg

Can't find Amos in 1901.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 August 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to find a marriage certificate for Amos Wellwood Thompson and Myrtle Millicent "Milly" Foster? Or would the Manitoba birth records of the three sons state when & where the parents married as do some of the Ontario records?

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 September 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Search for George Homer Thompson's birth in 1909 at the following site, then hit <details>.  Note that it is stated that his parents were married at the time of his birth, but no trace of this marriage can be found in either Ontario or Manitoba records.  You can print out a form for ordering a hard copy of George's birth with the blanks filled in from Manitoba Vital Stats.  The cost is reasonable but the wait time for results can be months.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

RunKitty if you are reading this, I am curious about ProQuest.  Do you have an individual subscription to their services?  I went to their website and could not find a way to subscribe since there was a notice posted when one tried for a trial that no individuals were currently being accepted.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 September 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
According to my research ProQuest used to be the Toronto Star Pages of the Past site which I had used in the past. ProQuest requires a library card from a Toronto resident to access records. Hope this helps.