Author Topic: WILKINSON, Seaford  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
WILKINSON, Seaford
« on: Wednesday 25 June 08 05:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information about the family of William WILKINSON who lived at Airedale House in Seaford. He married Ada Maria BANKS Dec qtr 1886 at Eastbourne. He was a carpenter/builder born in Keighley, Yorkshire. He was in Eastbourne in by 1881.

They had two children, Ethelwynn, born 1888, who married Joseph Joel HAMMOND at Seaford in 1909. He was a pilot, one of the first in the area, and was in the RFC during WW1, and was killed at Indianapolis in the US in 1918. Ethelwynn as far as we know was at home with her parents and stayed there after her husband's death. Joe HAMMOND was a New Zealander, and Ethelwynn used to correspond with his family until about 1935.

The second child was William Henry born Jun qtr 1891 Eastbourne. Not sure what happened to him, but know that he served in WW1 in France.

Have some info from the Seaford Museum, who have been very helpful.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CBKT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILKINSON, Seaford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 July 14 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian my name is Katie and my great Aunt is Ethelwyn Wilkinson, I have only recently been interested in my family history and with researching came across you're post please let me know you're interest! Thank you Katie

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 14 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

Welcome to Rootschat.

I was researching Joe Hammond at the time, and was looking for any of the Wilkinson descendants who may be able to help, particularly about his time in Seaford. I did get some info from the Seaford Museum. Ethelwyn came to New Zealand a couple of times with Joe. There is quite a bit written about his flying exploits in NZ and Australia.

Did find the Wilkinsons in the census records.

I did post another message about a Seaford house that I believe was owned by the Wilkinsons somewhere along the line, trying to see if it was the same house I found on Google Streetview.

If you want to get in touch direct, reply to this message a couple of times and we can exchange email addresses through the Personal Message system

Ian C

Offline CBKT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian Thanks for getting back to me my Aunt Ethelwyn lived at 1 Clairemont Rd she became very reclusive after JJ died her brother William lived w her also he died young too. I wonder why she or his family didn't bring him home ! I'm sure w communication and travel the way it was it would of been hard or maybe she was mad about the Esmee scandal! Thanks for sharing any info you have!

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 07:37 BST (UK) »
Katie

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=652487.msg4988519#msg4988519

This is the link to the other message about the house in Seaford. The sepia photo came from the Seaford Museum, along with a photo of Ethelwyn.

We also were not sure why JJH was not taken back to England. He was supposed to stay in Indianapolis until the end of the war as far as I know.

Who is Esmee? Is she the girl he took up on a flight here in NZ.

Anything you can provide about JJH would be much appreciated as well.

Ian C

Offline CBKT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian that is not the house my Aunt Ethelwyn lived in she lived on the next corner  I have a picture my sister sent me but I don't know how to post I am not computer savvy yet! I am not sure yet if my great grandfather built the home you have a picture of. Esmee is the actress JJ took up in the plane that he got into trouble for! Wonder if his wife was mad! I'd like to see a picture of his funeral thousands of people attended supposedly ! Also hope to go to Indianapolis someday and see the mausoleum ! I'd like to know how the Fisher family feels about him being there all this time ! Sad to be documented that he was left there ! I'm going to England in Sept looking forward to seeing my family and researching the ones long gone!   Katie