Author Topic: Joseph Brewer died 1829 Brighton St Nicholas  (Read 4155 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Brewer died 1829 Brighton St Nicholas
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jo. Good to have the St Nicholas info. I guess that two marriages is a possibility but Sarah does give her mother as Sarah at her marriage. Will keep it in mind and let you know if I have any luck.

Regards
Sue

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
What record for the marriage shows the mother's name?   UK records are not like Australian ones.  That does not happen in the church registers or post 1837 certificates.  Only the father is shown and then only after 1837.   It is possible mother might be a witness but it does not specify relationships for the witnesses.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
I checked the baptism entries for Sarah and Emma Brewer b1808 on Ancestry. These both show the mother's name as Sarah. Back to the beginning...

I noticed that Martha Elizabeth Brewer b1815, didn't marry and she lived in Brighton until her death there in 1899. The Probate details show she died on 18 December 1899 and was living at 9 Ditchling Rise, Brighton, Sussex. Probate was given to Edmund Gregory Holtham, gentleman, her effects were: £1025 5s 3d.

That was quite a sum of money in those days.

Judging by the census returns, she had considerable contact with her Holtham nieces and nephew.

Jo.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 11:42 BST (UK) »
I checked the baptism entries for Sarah and Emma Brewer b1808 on Ancestry. These both show the mother's name as Sarah. Back to the beginning...
That's good.  I had a feeling the SFHG one was an error.