Author Topic: Where is Judge Jeffries?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Inkyfingers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where is Judge Jeffries?
« on: Thursday 05 October 06 12:28 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any Jeffries in London/Surrey around 1700-1800s

I have an Isaac Jeffries born in Lambeth in 1821, the son of Isaac Jeffries and Ann Moore.  He moved to Derby and was later married to Mary Ann Ellis.

There is also a James Jeffries b. c. living in Surrey and later Middlesex

Is anyone researching the same name?

Michael

Offline JanetteO

• RootsChat Member
  • Susan Bailey born Chester, Cheshire father Edward
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Judge Jeffries?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi when you say Judge Jeffries, do you mean the notorious 'Hanging Judge Jeffrey' who became famous for hanging political rebels?

I was at Forty Hall in Enfield, Middlesex on Saturday and the lady that was running the museum that day mentioned Judge Jeffrey but for the life of me I cannot remember the connection she gave me with Enfield. It may have been something like the last hanging was in Enfield.

What I can tell you is, there has always been a rumour that my family were in some way connected to him, but having found no one hanged, I can only presume that this story might be behind the myth.
http://www.spiritencounters.tictacwebsites.com/blackcarriageofenfield.html My family lived in Ponders End, so perhaps it was just as simple as having seen his coach.... eerie or what?

I'm doing a lot of research for the Enfield area at the moment for a one place study so I will keep my eyes open for you.

Jan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
 Okeman, Oakeman, Oakman, Smith, Allwright, Carrington, Skelton, Skilton, Watts, Morrell, Bailey, Griffen, White, Hammett, Bird, Canham, Carey, Carter, Griffen, Borer, Budd, Almond, Archer, Kemp, Bluett, Aldridge, Kerr, Elliott, Gosling, Moser, Robson, Austin, Ward, Jones, Tatt, Bayford, Overall, Greenham, Coffey, Westrop, Wyatt, Egan, Oickle, Newman, Stanley, Norton, Gore