Author Topic: Emigration from Ireland to Australia - McMENAMIN  (Read 11754 times)

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emigration from Ireland to Australia - McMENAMIN
« on: Tuesday 24 January 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Can anyone help me find the immigration record for any of the McMenamin family: Parents John and Catherine (or Kathleen) and children Joseph, Mary, Annie, Margaret? The family left Pennsylvania USA to return to Donegal in 1911 but then migrated to Australia (between 1911 and 1930). I am not certain if the whole family came to Australia or just some of the children. John was born  in Ireland in 1882, Catherine (maiden name unknown) was born in Ireland in 1881. The four children were born in USA, Joseph in C1903, Mary in C1906, Annie in C1908 and Margaret in 1910. Another child, James, was born in C1816 but I do not know if it was in Donegal or Australia). Even if someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.  :) Thanks, Maxell

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration from Ireland to Australia - McMENAMIN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 12:16 GMT (UK) »
There's a Mary McMenamin born America in 1911 census in Co. Donegal but the details don't fit- perhaps the family arrived back in Ireland after the census was taken (2 Apr.1911)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Altnapaste/Aghaveagh/507080/

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, just missed 1911 Irish census- "Furnessia" arrioved Glasgow 16 May 1911 from New York: John McMenamin (occupation stonecutter), and Mary (wife?), Joseph, Mary, Annie, Margaret disembarked at Londonderry.

Wife called Mary not Catherine so will re-do some earlier searches to see if I found them but discounted because I was looking for Catherine not Mary.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
1910 U.S. Census- 173 Simpson Rd., Lower Merion, Montgomery Co., Pennsylvania:
John McMenamin, 28, Ireland, to US 1891, blacksmith; wife Catherine McMenamin, 29, m.8 yrs., 4 children/4 living, to US 1894. Children: Joseph A. McMenamin, 7, Penn.; Mary McMenamin, 4, Penn.; Annie McMenamin, 2, Penn.; Margaret McMenamin, 2/12, Penn. Also brother-in-law Lewis Quinn, 50, single, Ireland, plasterer.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Using the family search site, John McMenimin married Catherine Dugan in 1902 taken from Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1951

Regards

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Do you know whereabouts in Australia they went? You may find their arrival into Australia, but because each state keeps it's own records it helps to know where they were likely to have arrived. (maybe post this question on the Australia board?)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just noticed the last part of your post, a James McMenimin was born 1912 birth registered Killeter, Tyrone, Ireland father John McMenimin, mother Catherine Dugan. They had no other children registered after this date so it looks like they probably immigrated sometime after James birth

Regards

(Also if you do a parent search in the family search site looks like John and catherine  they may have had another couple of children born in Philadelphia who died in infancy)

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »
To aghadowey  :), joemc  :) and Ruskie  :) - thank you for all your clever research. I found the 1910 US census so I knew they were still in Penn. at that time. I did not know that Lewis Quinn was the brother-in-law...interesting!! The James you found, born in 1912 is obviously the correct one - he died in Aust in an accident in 1941 and his age was listed as 25 years; I have come to realise that people often fudged their ages (still do I guess). As to why John's wife was listed as Mary - who knows; her name became known as Kathleen in the family, even though she was born Catherine- maybe Catherine Mary?? I am guessing the family came to NSW Australia, but I will check both NSW and Victoria Govt. records and see what I can find. I will post results.
As usual, you guys rock. Thanks a lot!!!!Maxell

Offline maxene

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have found A Joseph Aloysius McMenamin who arrived in Australia on the "Orsova" from London in 1928. The age is out by two years but it has possibilities. I'll keep searching. Maxell