Author Topic: Lisfannan  (Read 6069 times)

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lisfannan
« on: Sunday 07 July 13 05:54 BST (UK) »
I've come across a record in the 1911 census that lists a house as being #13 in Lisfannan (Fahan, Donegal) that is part of a farm owned by the Warden family.  When I do a google search for "Lisfannan" it shows a couple of places with similar names, and specifically links to a beach.  Is anyone familiar with this area?  Was/is it farmland? Some general information about the area would be much appreciated!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lisfannan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hello again  :)

Lisfannan is the name for the townland- approx. 553 acres in the civil parish of Fahan Upper (Londonderry Poor Law Union/Registration District).

It shows up on Google Maps (along coast road- Railway Road- on the Buncrana side of Fahan).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
hello heather I am from lisfannon (proper spelling) This area is located approx. one mile from the town of buncrana on the read to the village of Fahan. as you travel towards Fahan, lisfannon is located on both your right and left hand side. On the right is the north west golf club (google it) along with the shore line of lough Swilly. and on the left some green land and a hill. In the 1960s I can remember a professor Warden who lived in Fahan just one mile from lisfannon If you send details of where you were searching in census I may be able to get photograph.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Most townlands can be found with multiple spellings and numerous official sources list it as Lisfannan.

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 November 13 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi advent! Thanks so much for your reply. The information you provided is all new to me and very helpful! I was looking in the 1911 census at the William Warden family in Lisfannon. I'm not extremely familiar with the Irish census, but the best I can tell is it is house 13 in Lisfannon, Fahan, North Donegal, in the electoral division of Buncrana? I'm not sure if this is the pertinent information or not.  I googled the golf club and got a great overview, absolutely gorgeous!!!! Do you remember the professor's first name by any chance? Thank you again for your help!

Offline familybuff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 November 13 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again aghadowey! Your help is very appreciated. So neat to see it on Google Maps.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 13 07:23 GMT (UK) »
the best I can tell is it is house 13 in Lisfannon, Fahan, North Donegal, in the electoral division of Buncrana?
No, the D.E.D. is Fahan (see headings for census page). Other than the census the D.E.D. is really not that important. What you do need to keep in mind is the civil parish.

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 November 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
hello heather, were you searching for a particular surname of someone who resided on the Warden farm or were you searching for the Warden family.?

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 November 13 22:10 GMT (UK) »
hello heather, i have found some more info on Warden family. In the 1960s i remember a bob warden residing at lisfannan fahan. (that is him named as robert age 18 in 1911 Irish census). He resided in a large two story dwelling. This dwelling was demolished approx 15 years past and replaced by a new dwelling. If you go to google earth and in the search box type  lisfannan  fahan donegal it will bring you to this area of the former Warden home. As you scroll along, note where there is a road leading down to a small  beach car park. this is the view that would have been from the Warden home. There is a new dwelling now on this elevated site as i have already stated.