Author Topic: Seeking info George Wemyss Gunn - Leith  (Read 6187 times)

Offline CathyGunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking info George Wemyss Gunn - Leith
« on: Friday 09 May 08 13:40 BST (UK) »
My grandfather George Wemyss Gunn lived in Leith and married Bessie Gillies on 2nd January 1926. George's parents are listed on the marriage certificate as (also) George Wemyss Gunn and Margaret Gunn nee Ferguson. I trace this branch of the family back to an address at 5 East Cromwell St (4 rooms with one or more windows in the 1901 census!) I find lots of kids and two previous addresses at 35 Fox St and 2 Poplar Lane. So far so good.

The puzzle is where was my grandfather born (in July 1903 I think) and how is it possible that he was half black when both his parents and all his siblings seem to have been 100% white? I think this is unusual for Leith in the early 1900s, although I suppose the sea port angle could make it a no brainer. Like so many families - no one ever talked about this and there is no one old enough to know

This list - which I have just joined seems to be a mine of useful information so I am posting this request in the hope that someone might be able to assist. I'd also be interested to know if East Cromwell St is still standing.

Thanks in anticipation

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info George Wemyss Gunn - Leith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy - welcome to Rootschat.

19 George Gunns born in Scotland from 1900 to 1905.  Only 2 in Edindurgh.  The other is shown with the wrong middle name.

This looks like yours - from the pay per view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

1904 GUNN GEORGE M LEITH NORTH EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 692/01 0077

No guarantees.  £6 buys 5 download extracts - which give a mine of info.  Am out of credits  - again - or I'd do it.  Good luck.  Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 08 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

East Cromwell street is still standing  ;) Just have a look at one of the modern mapping sites such as google maps or streetmap. The full address with postcode: East Cromwell St Edinburgh, Midlothian EH6

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CathyGunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 May 08 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these two (prompt) replies - the George Gunn born in 1904 suggested is not my grandfather. I have spent quite a bit of time searching the scotlandspeople website and his birth seems not to be registered here. I have ordered copies of his marriage and death certificates in the hope these might reveal something. Takes a while for these to arrive - and longer because they have to get to NZ.

Good to know that the street where the old family home was still exists. I'll keep looking....

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 May 08 23:56 BST (UK) »
Cathy -
East Cromwell Street still exists, down in North Leith and just off Coburg Street, but it has mostly - or all - been redeveloped and I doubt whether any houses are still there. On an aerial photograph taken about 2000 the buildings in the street look like warehouses. The same applies to Fox Street and Poplar Lane which you mention.

Sorry if this is unwelcome news.

I'll have a look, next time I'm down that way: I live only a few miles away.

Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline DaveFlanagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Just discovered this posting. Your great, great grandparents would have been the same as mine - George Wemyss Gunn (b 1847) who married Margaret Laughton Scott (b. 1847). Their son George did indeed marry Margaret Ferguson and their son George was your grandfather who, on the records I've got, was born in 2 East Cromwell Street, Leith, in 1904.

2 and 5 East Cromwell Street, and Poplar Lane, are addresses that pop up regularly with the Gunns. 

My great grandmother was Helen Gunn, born 1871 - the daughter of George Gunn and Margaret Scott.

Have a reasonable amount of info on all this, plus a gedcom file. Get in touch as I've discovered very few living relatives on this side of the family!

All the best
Dave

Offline DaveFlanagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:17 BST (UK) »
And I've just re-read your other posting about the 1904 George not being your grandfather...

Still clearly a connection, even if it looks like I've the wrong George in as your grandfather..

Offline EvelynR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 November 12 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Have just discovered this website and your posting from 2008.

My mother was Margaret Scott Gilchrist (nee Gunn), you grandfather's young sister.
I have vivid memories of Uncle Dodo (as we called him) and Auntie Bessie living in Coburg Street as we lived with my grandfather, George Gunn, at 2 East Cromwell Street until 1952.  My great grandparents, George Gunn and Margaret Laughton Gunn had lived on the opposite side of the street at No. 5 and had a grocer shop (as you probably know).
I remember quite a lot about the family from things my mother spoke of but your grandfather has always been a mystery as nothing was ever said.  I  have assumed from the secrecy that his birth mother might have been another member of the family or a friend.  A black baby with white parents must have raised a few eyebrows in Leith at the time.
I would be most interest to know if you have discovered anything more and sincerely hope you are still checking this site.
Best wishes
Evelyn 

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 November 12 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Time passes and the 1911 census is now available which gives the answer.

George aged 7 is the adopted son of George and Margaret.   Born Lanarkshire, Glasgow.

Adoptions before 1930
Before 1930 adoptions were arranged on a private basis, either by individuals or by one of a number of charitable adoption agencies. NRS currently holds no records for adoptions before 1930.