Author Topic: Musselburgh, Inveresk, Midlothian history 1850-1870's??  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Musselburgh, Inveresk, Midlothian history 1850-1870's??
« on: Friday 13 June 14 02:47 BST (UK) »
With the help of the rootschat.com community,  :)  I have been able to find records to confirm my ancestors migration to Musselburgh, Inversek. Patrick Clancy (Glancy) and Mary Barclay (Bartley) were married in 1854 in Inveresk and at least some of their children were baptized at St.John's Portobello RC church.

Patrick and Mary were both born in Ireland but unfortunately none of the records I have found show where they came from in Ireland. 

So my next question is what was happening or what was the industry in Musselburgh that may have drawn them to the area?  And was there any record that a particular county from Ireland may have migrated there?

Is there any place to search the history of the area?  I am just as interested in the journey as I am finding a name for the tree so any info will be helpful.

Thank you so much,
Bernadette
O'Brien, Clancy, Segrave, Sinnott,Synnott, Brown, Connor, Matthews (Mathieson), Devine, Harney, Bartley, Hogan, Watterson,

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Musselburgh, Inveresk, Midlothian history 1850-1870's??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 June 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
Here's a history of the town:
http://www.scottish-places.info/towns/townhistory280.html

A factory making nets and twine opened in 1854 - maybe that's a clue?

And their reasons for moving are almost certainly tied in with The Great Famine in Ireland, 1845-1852. Also known as the Irish Potato Famine.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 June 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernadette

Not sure which of the children of Patrick and Mary you are connected to. You might be in luck though if you check the birth registration on SP for their first born Bridget, born in 1855 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQS1-3FQ

Scottish Official Registration began in 1855. For the first year only, entries ran over two pages of the registers for BMDs, with a wealth of additional details. For births in 1855, this should include the place of birth of parents for example in most cases. Worth checking her birth as it likely sounds, if you have gone through all the censuses (?), there is no mention of place of birth for either Patrick and Mary. RC records are very patchy until the introduction of official registration in 1855 for Scotland and 1864 for Irish RC staturory events.

1855 is always seen to be a lucky year in Scotland for BMDs if you manage to find one for your line  :) See here for additional note www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&402

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 June 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
What were the names of Patrick and Mary's parents' from their death certs? You sometimes can find additional info by going sideways etc. It may be that more of their family came over from Ireland around a similar time frame.

Many of the children of Patrick and Mary left for the US in later years?

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 June 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 June 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
Found some online family details with original images of some certificates. Mary Bartley's father was a Hugh Bartley, deceased by the time she married in 1854. Is this Mary in 1851 with family, all showing as born in Ireland and lodging with a Murray family?

Mary Bartley 40 lab
Mary Bartley Jr 15 lab
Cathe Bartley 13 Starch Mill
Hugh Bartley 11 lab

Address: Newbigging, Inveresk

From Patrick's 1886 death cert, his parents showing as a Michael Clancy and a Bridget Kerrigan.

Monica

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 June 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help! Monica you were correct.  I was able to get Bridget birth record.  :) And in fact it listed the towns in Ireland they were from...unfortunately Patrick's was unreadable and Mary's town might be misspelled because is says Drumderrick, Ireland. I have posted the clips from the birth record on the Decipher and recognition help forum.  I posted it under "Need help identifying towns/ county in Ireland"

The Bartley's you found are them.. Mary's father Hugh had died. And Michael Clancy and Bridget Kerrigan are both new information that we recently found on Patrick's death record. Baby Bridget their first born has Bartley's for her godparents.

I'm making progress and I appreciate your help.

Bernadette
O'Brien, Clancy, Segrave, Sinnott,Synnott, Brown, Connor, Matthews (Mathieson), Devine, Harney, Bartley, Hogan, Watterson,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 June 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Bernadette, just adding link to other post (on the 'Deciphering' board) for background www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=689784.0

Monica