Author Topic: Largest DNA Database  (Read 15191 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Largest DNA Database
« on: Sunday 07 July 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know who has the largest DNA database of the various providers? This is a detail they don't seem to like revealing.

I'm under the impression FamilyTreeDNA is the biggest, but a search for Jones only gives 1421 people. I am not 100% sure what that means, but I am guessing that they have tested 1421 people with the surname Jones.

Seems like this is a long-term punt. Further, does anyone know if FamilyTreeDNA keep the DNA on file, so further tests could be run in the future using new technology/science?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Largest DNA Database
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 13 17:21 BST (UK) »
As many will know, I am a sceptic when it comes to DNA and genealogy!

However:

FamilyTree DNA says:
Our database is the largest in the field of Genetic Genealogy. As of July 7, 2013, the Family Tree DNA database has 640,586 records. Total numbers include transfers from the Genographic Project and resellers in Europe and Middle East. We also have:

7,523 SURNAME PROJECTS
    290,662 unique surnames
    478,994 Y-DNA records in the database
    174,002 25-marker records in the database
    153,520 37-marker records in the database
    71,833 67-marker records in the database
    161,592 mtDNA records in the database
    26,995 FGS records in the database
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

I missed that.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 19:32 BST (UK) »

Seems like this is a long-term punt. Further, does anyone know if FamilyTreeDNA keep the DNA on file, so further tests could be run in the future using new technology/science?

Yes ftDNA keep your sample on file for several reasons eg if you want to upgrade a test say from Y37DNA test to Y67DNA or even Y111DNA or even a Mitochondrial test.

The downside with ftDNA is they have a largely American clientele.

On the plus side they do upload the results (if you want) to Ysearch.org which allows you to compare with people who have had tests done by other firms
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline LPlantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dr. Lindsey Britton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 July 13 20:24 BST (UK) »

Is there a testing company with a large British clientele which also offers the variety of genealogically useful tests that FTDNA offers?  If so, I'm not aware of it.

Lindsey
Looking for the ancestors of John Britton bc 1672/3, probably in England, but living in Henrico Co., VA by 1684--The family has a rare Y-DNA signature and belongs to subgroup AS7E of Haplogroup I1--We are Family Group 1 in the Britton Project

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 July 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
Probably not - because it wouldn't be commercially viable?

As I said on other threads, the take-up of Ancestral/Genetic DNA testing is quite low in the UK.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 July 13 21:12 BST (UK) »

Is there a testing company with a large British clientele which also offers the variety of genealogically useful tests that FTDNA offers?  If so, I'm not aware of it.

Lindsey

Not bashing ftDNA (indeed I tested with them) just saying that is one possible pitfall.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 July 13 07:03 BST (UK) »
Is there a testing company with a large British clientele which also offers the variety of genealogically useful tests that FTDNA offers?

FTDNA do not offer a paternal SNP test which is one of the main 2 tests for men. Dr Jim Wilson (of the Eddie Izzard program) runs a British company which offers a British-Orientated SNP test which is as good as any:-

http://www.britainsdna.com/products/ydna

Not sure why you are interested in database sizes though, unless you are only interested in autosomal testing, which is a waste of money imo. Once you have your Y-DNA/mtDNA SNP/Haplogroups you can find out about it from various websites, DNA forums and projects.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 July 13 07:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry, going back to the op I see this thread was originally aimed just at STR tests. FTDNA does dominate the surname project field but does import results from some other companies.

I am surpised that Oxford Ancestors never really kept their STR testing up to date or competitive. They started with a wave of good publicity (Syke's book) but have been disappointing ever since and I have not seen anyone recommend them recently.

Perhaps there is room in the market for Wilson or another British entrepeneur to offer STR testing coupled with British-centric regional/surname projects and data protection?