Author Topic: Understanding my Y-DNA results  (Read 803 times)

Offline KD146

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Understanding my Y-DNA results
« on: Sunday 17 August 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
So I finally went out and got my Y-DNA and Family Finder results from FTDNA.  And now I want to understand more about them.

Firstly, I joined the Connor name project, and had my results inserted into the Y-DNA chart.  On this chart, each line I take to be the DNA results of one individual who had their DNA tested.  Questions as follows:
a)  What do the colour segregations mean?
b)  Are Connors in a blue section, say, not related to Connors in an orange section, or a mauve section?
c)  Within one colour section, what does it mean if my results are next in line to another result, does it mean my ancestor is more closely related than to someone, say, three or four or ten lines away?
d)  If someone near my results is a couple of hundred years older than my ancestor, does it mean I am likely descended from them?
e)  If all these results are posted in the Connor name project, shouldn't they all appear as cousins in my matches, or at least those whose results are next in line to my results?  Why don't they?
f)  Is there a good explanatory of these Y-DNA result charts to be found anywhere on the web, in plain English that somebody very stupid could understand???  :)

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/conner/results
Co.Dublin - Connor, Martin, Reilly, Roche

Co.Laois - Brennan, Cobbe, Curran, Quearney

Co.Wexford - Kavanagh, Louth, Toole

Co.Wicklow - Booth, Byrne, Franklin, Kearney, Keddy, Murphy, Turner, Waldron, Woods

Hampshire, UK - Hayter, Heady, Nutley, Pullen

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding my Y-DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 14 17:58 BST (UK) »

A)   The colour segregation are just the project managers way of keeping similar groups together. Even then not all people in one colour, say blue, would be closely related

B)   Well  yes the Connors in the blue section could be related to those in the orange or mauve sections but we would be talking thousands of years back. This is easier to understand with say the blue and mauve groups as the former is haplogroup I and the latter haplogroup R. As these haplogroups separated tens of thousands of years ago you can see there is no close connection. Indeed not all people with the same surname are necessarily related.

C)   In theory yes. The graphs start on the left from a common marker (393) then moved onto the next (390). To be closely related you would need to have say 35 out of 37 markers identical or say 61 out of 64 etc

D)   Not necessarily it would depend how many markers you have in common. It could be that you both descend from a common ancestor even further back

E)   No. As above its the number of markers you have in common that matters. Eg if you only have 20 out of 37 in common with someone then you are not really related in a meaningful  genealogical way.
This is why when you have your results you have to look at the matches you have with others who have tested in the matches section on ftDNA. You will likely find you do have matches with people of different surnames too which could come about for a whole host of reasons. Try exploring the matches section and see what you come up with.

F)   Have a look at the faqs and resources on ftDNA there are a number of bits there that will help. There is specifically a bit about interpreting results and what 35/37 etc marker matches mean. Also have a look at the haplotree diagram and that should help you with who is related ie you will only be closely related to someone on the lowest level of the tree not on overarching haplogroups like I, R etc which are too broad
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.