Author Topic: Carrigtwohill,Co Cork  (Read 30257 times)

Offline ubhig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigtwohill,Co Cork
« Reply #27 on: Friday 26 September 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply - I was familiar with that doc (one of the few for Templecurraheen) but as you can see very limited. I will be in that area  in the next couple of weeks. If I can locate a better record source, I will post it. Thanks again

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 26 September 14 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, ubhig,

Yes, that site was extremely limited! :) I figured it was worth sending your way just in case any of those few names were your ancestors.

As  you are looking at graves in that area, if you by any chance come across a grave for a Mrs. Walsh who died between 1827 and 1839 (my great great great grandmother), I would appreciate it immensely if you would be willing and able to write down the info for me. (I wish I knew her first name, but I don't.) Her husband's name was John Walsh, but his grave would not be with hers because he died later in the U.S.

I understand you will probably be too busy to look for anything other than your own--- this is "just in case." I will do my best to return the favor when I eventually get there, if you need something watched for.  Enjoy your time in the Emerald Isle, and I hope your search is fruitful!

Offline ubhig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 26 September 14 01:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Walsh Seeker - If I find anything I will send some Pics meanwhile do try Google Maps you can see how small the cemetery is and switching to Street View you can drive right up to the little white gate and if you zoom in you get a sense of how old the headstones are. FYI - I'm looking for the grave of my great grand parents Timothy Higgins and Catherine Linehan ( both died abt 1910 or so). The last time there I found some head stones for those family names but no names that I had a known connection to. Hopefully this time I will have more time to explore and dig thru the overgrowth.

Offline Walsh-seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 26 September 14 01:50 BST (UK) »
That's interesting because one of the possibilities for my g-g-g grandmother is a Mary Linehan Walsh. From a baptismal record on rootsireland.ie, she had a husband named John Walsh and son named William born in 1827. (My great great grandfather was William Walsh, born between 1826 and 1828).
I'm not certain Mary Linehan Walsh is the right person; she's just a possibility. But the name Linehan is in my mind because of that, so I will watch for your family members in my searches. Have you checked RootsIreland.ie.? You have to pay to look at records on that site, but it was so worth it to me, because that was how I found where my Walsh line was from in Ireland. No other site had the records.
I will definitely look at the cemetery on Google Earth street view tomorrow. I would love to see this small, old cemetery in Ireland near where my ancestors lived! Thank you!

Offline ubhig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 26 September 14 02:25 BST (UK) »
Will keep you in the loop on any Linehan findings also. I have been using Ancestry.com ( under Higgins Family Tree) at some point in time may have to expand to rootsireland. Thanks

Offline MCGR23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 April 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon,
I'm new to RootsChat and a bit confused.
I found the site while searching Google for Fitzgerald in Carrigtwohill, Cork.
What I found was several pages of chats but when I registered your post was virtually all that came up.
If you're still out there I'd love to share information.

Offline MCGR23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 April 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
Ok...found those posts.
My search has me looking for information about Michael Patrick Fitzgerald born in 1907.
His parent were Patrick Fitzgerald and Nora Hartnett.   
The 1911 census has Nora and Michael living with her parents, Michael and Ellen Hartnett in house 2 in Gortamucky, Carrigtohill...still working on Ellen's maiden name. Patrick, according to family stories, was in the merchant marines at the time of the census.
Patrick made visits to the family here in New York but lived Carrigane Cottage, Carrigtwohill at the time of his death.
It seems likely that many of the Fitzgeralds from Carrigtwohill are related so any and all information would be fantastic.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 August 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi MCGR23,

Welcome to RootsChat.  I am sorry but it looks like Chedburger is no longer picking up his email notifications :'(

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tijom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 28 March 16 14:48 BST (UK) »
I am an native of this area and know all the homes in this townland. what do you want to know?