Author Topic: Corkery  (Read 1500 times)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corkery
« on: Wednesday 24 September 14 02:55 BST (UK) »
I truly do not know where to start trying to find a RC baptismal record for Mary Anne Corkery.  The only information I have on her comes from the records in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.  Depending on the record (of which there are very few) she was born in Co Cork Ireland about 1831.  She married Michael Melliday/Melody  etc in St John at St Malachy's  Roman Catholic church on 26 November,  1840.   Her obituary stated that she died in her 54th year and was a native of Co Cork, Ireland.

Is there an area of Co Cork where the surname of Corkery was prevalent in the time frame when she would have been baptized ?

Thanks for any clues on where I should try to find info on her.    Regards,  Bettye in California

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corkery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
You have her as 9 years old getting married
Should have you said born 1821
a possible
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3553d90069111

have you any parents from her marriage cert

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 14 05:55 BST (UK) »
I realize that the math did 'not compute' for Mary Anne Corkery.   I entered what was sent to me from the secretary of the Archdiocese of St John, New Brunswick.   She is only listed on 3 items which give her age. 
1.  her marriage in Nov 1840  said she was bc 1831 and that she was a spinster.   No relatives listed for her.
2.  The 1871 Census for Saint  John, NB listed ther as age 40 yrs (thus bc 1831).   
3.  Her obit in 1879 stated she was 54 yrs of age (thus bc 1825).

I will try the link tomorrow as it is my bedtime.   Thank you for the response,  Bettye

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 14 07:47 BST (UK) »
Some Irish parishes don't have baptisms going back as far as the 1820s or 30s. You're going to need some more information about your Mary Anne Corkery to confirm any baptism you find.

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 September 14 01:20 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the surnames of Corkery and Corcoran in the records of New Brunswick, Canada in hopes of finding info that might lead me back to Co Cork  for Mary Anne Corkery.   Nothing found.

Thank you for the reply,   Bettye