Author Topic: John Marks...Orkney to Cornwall  (Read 8775 times)

Offline croxia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Marks...Orkney to Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 November 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Osprey...The marriage certificate for John and Alice reveals that John's father was also called John Marks and a miner. It would appear he attended the wedding as the bridegroom is referred to as "the younger"and as I expected a widower.

Wife Alice Smitheram-spinster and is recorded as a miner under rank/profession. Her father William....miner deceased. It would appear that John signed the register and Alice made her mark. They are both described as "of full age".

Witnesses are William Marks and John Duckham. It doesn't state if they signed or marked!

I have sent off for the death certificate of John's first wife Catharine.........was rather hoping it would have arrived today! 

I may put a posting on the Cornwall board: perhaps John was born in Cornwall there does seem to be some possibilities.

Thank you for interest
Croxia 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 November 11 22:56 GMT (UK) »
well, the use of 'the younger' suggests that 'the older' was somewhere nearby and probably in the same parish. Otherwise, why
make the difference?

Possible for John senior
1841 Weeth, Camborne HO107/141/3 folio 5 pg 2
John Marks 60 copper miner
Elizabeth 60
Josiah 20 copper miner
All 3 have a Y in the column noting if born in county, but in the next box which is meant to show Scotland, Ireland or Foreign Parts, there is what looks like Norfolk on the line for Elizabeth.

Josiah's baptism is on the Cornwall opc site
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1475851
& there are several other baptisms to the couple, first one in 1802 and including this one of a Henry
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1640885

1851 College St, Camborne HO107/1916 folio 13 pg 18-19
Henry Marks head mar 46 copper miner
Elizabeth wife 50
Henry son 22 copper miner
Joseph son 16 copper miner
James son 14 copper miner
William H 12 copper miner
Francis son 10
Susan dau 8
Thomas J son 5
Elizabeth mother widow 74 b. Norfolk, Lynn
John Bennetts lodger 16 copper miner
all born Camborne unless noted

The first marriage of your John looks to be to Catherine Villanoweth 1/10/1821
baptism for their son John
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=1476374

Cornwall record office have some documents relating to Henry & family, & father John gives evidence on one. Search on this link for Henry Marks for the references
http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/dserve/dserve.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=Search.tcl
You can order copies on this link
http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=14713

Hope something here helps.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline croxia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 November 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Osprey for your information; lots there for me to look into.

I did know of the marriage of John and Catharine. I now have the death certificate for Catharine; she died on Christmas Day 1839 of consumption.

I notice that you have the surname James (Cornwall) listed. I have a Charity James married Daniel Trevarthen 1775. Do these people feature in your family tree?

Croxia

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 November 11 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a James James who married in Ladock in 1796, the marriage bond says he was of Breage.  Your Charity looks to have been baptised in St Just in Roseland. Don't think there's any link. But James' son married a Charity Johns, so there is a Charity James in the family, just not the same one.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb