Author Topic: Walklin/Walkling Family - Henley-on-Thames  (Read 28121 times)

Offline Maple9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walklin/Walkling Family - Henley-on-Thames
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 March 11 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Needthesun:

Archibald George Wakelin was a carpenter then went into the ministry.
1932 - Rector at Lansdowne Rear, Athens, ON
1937 - 1950 Rector at St. James, Kemptiville, ON
He is buried in the church cemetary.

Will chat later.  Off to church.

Offline needthesun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 March 11 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi dwak,

Benjamin Franklin Wakelin was my grandpa Charles brother.  There were 13 children in all, most came to Canada.  All carpenters.  My dad knew his grandparents James and Eliza well, they lived on the same street in Toronto.  Have some interesting side notes eg:  James was 6'2", Eliza was 4'10", James was a mean man and when he died, it is said that Eliza said "there lies the man that ruined my life".  Would love to know your connection and anything else you have.  Thanks!

Offline Maple9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 March 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Needthesun:

Dwak and I are first cousins.  We had the same grandfather Benjamin Franklin.

I found a picture of Eliza and James and yes, she was quite a bit shorter than her husband.

James, wife Eliza and Olive Jessie immigrated from England in 1907.
     Lived at 192 Van Horne St. Toronto
Alfred James, wife Maria, Amy, Edgar, Hilda & Sydney immigrated from England in 1905
       Lived 138 Boon Ave. Toronto
William Edward immigrated Mar 1905
       Lived 184 Van Horne St. Toronto
Charles Newton, wife Kate and Phyllis immigrated from England 1905.  They came over with Alfred James and family.
        Lived 188 Van Horne St. Toronto
Benjamin Franklin immigrated 1906
 Archibald George immigrate 1906
        Lived  192 Van Horne St. Toronto
Mary Margaret immigrated 1911
Sarah Newton, husband Thomas White, George & Lydia immigrated 1910
    Lived 337 Westmorland, Toronto
Lizzie Mildred immigrated 1906.

Offline needthesun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thlanks for that Maple9. 

My cousin John said that he has about 40 pages that Benjamin Franklin wrote and he has other stuff he is going to send me after he photocopies it all. 

I am curious to know all the sons and daughters and their sons and daughters of James and Eliza's 13 children.

The info my dad gave on his uncles and aunts pretty well match, assuming that Mary was called Molly and Sarah was called Sally, and her husband was called Bill (not Tomas?).  Also my dad called Alfred's wife aunt Judy (you had her as Maria).

Do you have info on the three girls that never came to Canada?

As interested as I am of ancient history, I am also wanting to know who of us are still alive and would like to keep in contact. Have talked on the phone to my counsins John and Carol. Would like to talk to you we have a good plan, I could call you. Thanks, Jane

Offline Kularanini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Needthesun:

I'm one of Eliza and James' great, great grandchildren.  I got stuck and did a google search and this thread was the first thing that came up.  Pretty lucky that I'm searching today of all days I guess.

My great Grandparents were Sarah Newton Wakelin (1880-1950) and William Thomas White (1881-1938).  They married in England and came over with the rest of the Wakelins.
I have a photo of their obituaries and managed to track down their shared grave plot just a couple of weeks ago.

I really just started looking in February and by fluke, I live just down the road from their old home in Toronto.  I only moved to Toronto a year ago.

I'm finding a ton of information on the Wakelin side but not a whole lot on the White side, although I notice that a generation before William and Sarah married, a lot of White's lived in Brill and married a lot of Wakelins.

I haven't had time to research a connection yet, but that would be interesting.  All I know is I have a lot of roots in Brill.

I'd love to trade information on the Wakelins...the information just in this thread is going to keep me busy on ancestry.ca for a bit.

Offline needthesun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
That's really cool - I actually just started on this family thing myself!  When I talked to my dad, he said he had an Aunt Sally who married Bill White and had 2 boys and 1 girl.  Who is your mom or dad? Do you have children, and are they interested?  Some of mine are.  I was born and raised in Toronto, but live in Sask for 42 years - where were you from?  My cousins John and Carol have met some of the family and John says he has tons of info, he even checked some stuff out when he went to England. He is photocopying it all and will send it to me by mail. Don't know if we can give our email or phone out on this website??  New to this stuff!  Also, I'm kind of cheap and didn't want to pay to get on ancestory.ca but maybe I should break down and do it! Talk later?  Jane

Offline Kularanini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 22:49 GMT (UK) »
We're probably part of the family that nobody has ever talked to or knows exists.

My dad's name is Paul and his grandparents (Sarah and William above) passed away before he was born.  By that time, his parents had moved to a place called Brownsville, near Tilsonburg Ontario.  Apparently Sarah and William were the only real connection to the rest of the family so my dad knew nothing of anyone outside his Aunt, Uncle, brother and Parents: Reginald White and Mildred Kelly.

I knew even less because my grandparents, aunt and uncle had all passed away before I was three.  I only had 3 cousins, 2 of which were adopted.  My uncle took off years ago and hasn't contacted anyone since.

On my mom's side of the family, we're the only members that aren't in England and all of her aunts, uncles and parents have passed away and she came to Canada when she was 4 so she never got to know her cousins.  So we've never had any connection to her side.

Not really knowing any of my relatives is what prompted me to start searching.  I was very surprised to find out how many relatives I may have just in Toronto from the Wakelin line.

My name is Matthew, I was born in Barrie, Ontario.  I'm sure when you last lived in Toronto, Barrie was a whole lot of nothing.  It's a very different place now. 

I can gladly give you my email once I figure out how to send messages on here.

Offline Maple9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 March 11 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Kularanini:

Do you have a family tree in ancestry.ca?  Why I am asking is there is a White Family Tree.  I am also on ancestry.ca "Goodbody / Wakelin Family Tree"
If you would like to check out this family tree be my guest.

Offline Blackcat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Need the Sun,

I too am a Henley Wakelin, now living in Scotland, via Toronto.

Alfred James, my great grandfather, was Charles Newton's brother (one of many!)

Alfred James married Maria Theobald at Remenham Church, Oxfordshire in 1898. I believe they emmigrated to Canada in 1905. They had 6 children, of which I remember 3, as the remaining 3 had died prior to my birth, including my grandfather Edgar Arthur. He only had one child, my mother, so that was the end of the Wakelin name on her side.

My parents emmigrated to England in the 1970's from Toronto and my brother and myself remain in the UK.

My mother, who died in 2004, always told me that we were related to Isaac Newton. The closest I have found is my GGG grandmother who was called Mary Newton born about 1811 in Brill, Buckinghamshire. Not found anything prior to this

Dear Maple9:
My grandfather Charles Newton Wakelin (born Sept 15, 1882West Hill Henley) was one of Benjamin's brothers I believe.  I got info from my dad (born Raymond Charles Wakelin 1908 Toronto, Canada).  My dad said there were 5 boys (Alfred, William, Charles, Benjamin, George) and 8 girls, 4 of whom came to Canada. He knew those girls names and who they married etc.  I have some of that info. I'm pretty sure that its the same family because my dad said that he knew his grandfather James and his grandma Eliza when they came to Canada late in life.  And I just found out from your post that they died in Toronto in 1927 - didn't know that.
Would love to keep in touch and fill in some blanks and questions I have.  We have 7 children ourselves and some of them are interested in the Wakelin side and two of them are going to England this summer on vacation and are wanting to see Henley-on-Thames.  In 1903 Charles married a girl (Kate Clements) who was born in the Jolly Waterman in Henley-on-Thames in 1879.
Would love to touch base with you and any one else that has information before that time.  I was always told that Sir Issac Newton's mother was a Wakelin - does anybody have info on that? 

Although I was born and raised in Toronto, I have lived in Saskatchewan for over 40 years. 

I'm just new to this search so any info would be appreciated.  Thank you!