Author Topic: Malvern Convalescent home  (Read 52535 times)

Offline clipper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malvern Convalescent home
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 November 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I was about 7 or 8 when I stayed in a Malvern convalescent home in the mid 1950's.

I lived in the Sparkbrook area of Birmingham and went to Malvern to recover from Pneumonia.

I'm sure it was the same home that you stayed at, Ray.

I have a few memories-

Every day, I was given a spoonful of malt along with the other kids.

I also remember my dad coming to visit me on a Sunday afternoon. He used to catch a Midland Red bus from Birmingham and if I remember correctly, I was able to see him get on/off the bus on the main road at the bottom of a hill.

I think there was an area within the grounds called the Paddock.

To keep us occupied, we were given small shaped pieces of wood which were stuck together to make models of small birds/animals and then painted.

I'd like to see any pictures of the home- past and present if there are any available.

Offline kingpettey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 November 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Clipper and all.

I did go look at the locations given above. The one that seemed right being close to the road, a similar style although it seemed taller to what I can recall, had a downward sloping rear garden, now built on. Although I cannot remember it there is a sign on the gate ‘Summerfield’. As a previous poster pointed out and a lady I spoke to at what is now a block of flats confirmed it was a home for the deaf before being a home for sick children.

I went there due to a head accident which did effect my memory (comes in handy as an excuse at times – smiling), thus my learning concentrated on memory games. One game that sticks in my mind which we also used to play on bus rides out, much to the looks of bewilderment of other passengers, was adding the alphabet to words. An example “The cat sat on the mat” was spoken “Athe Bcat Csat Don Ethe Fmat” 

Clipper from you what say this may not be the same one as the one you can recall as the bus stop was not too far from the home and circa 200 yds up from the Train station. However I did take some photos, if you think it could the same home I will look to see how I can post them to you - let us know.

Ray

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a picture of St Cuthberts which I will attempt to add here.

netti
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 20:14 GMT (UK) »
St Cuthberts began life as a boys' school in 1904 - the school closed in the 1940's.
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kingpettey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Summerfield Rear

Offline kingpettey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Summerfield Front

Offline clipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Thanks for the info, Ray and Netti.

I think the St Cuthbert's photo is the style of building I remember.
Although the building is quite large, I always thought the home to be bigger than the house in the photo.
That's probably due to everything seeming to be on a bigger scale as a child.
Any idea when the picture was taken, Netti?

I don't really remember the front of the building as I'm sure the front would have been 'out of bounds'  to the children, but the style feels right.

The colour photos of Summerfield, that you provided, Ray don't seem to ring any bells- the pitched roof and the closeness of neighbouring houses don't seem quite right.

I might be mistaken about seeing an actual Midland Red bus stop and I may only have seen my dad walking along the road after getting off the bus, but I'm sure I could see the buses at the bottom of a hill.

Many thanks for providing the pictures.

Regards,

clipper

Offline stiggy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 March 09 11:18 GMT (UK) »
my mother stayed in a convalescent home in malvern to get over scarlet fever i think see was about 12 so that would be aprox 1960

Offline jacqui1961

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi i also stayed at a convalescent home in Malvern, the date would have been about 1965 for me... my memories are that it was a big fronted house, indoors was spacious, they had a huge dining table at the far end where we found our underwear every morning after it had bee laundered, The babies were upstairs and downstairs there was two big rooms,  I went to school up the lane, we were ferried via an old ambulance but could walk if it was a nice day.. in onebathroom there was a bath that was very high up and another that was normal height.  There was a big common at the back somewhere with a huge slide in it .
We all had to strip off on a sunday and  there was a scales that was a big seat that we young ones sat on..  The house had very high wall around and lots of trees and shrubs, there was a very distinctive outdoor smell, and the wall was full of snails.. lol!  My mom and dad used to come on a Sunday to see me..  Ihated it there and have some horrid memories of that place..   I remember one lads name Dirk he was fair haired and a cheeky monkey always up to mischief..ah ah :)