Author Topic: Everley-Heviley, Oldbury  (Read 1670 times)

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Everley-Heviley, Oldbury
« on: Tuesday 11 March 14 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for my grandfather Thomas Heviley (ne Everley) born in Oldbury, Worcestershire in July? 1862. At various times in the 19thC, however, Oldbury was in Shropshire, Staffordshire and Worcestershire.

By the 1871, he is living with his parents at 26 House, Oldbury, Staffordshire. I cannot find any trace of him in 1881. However, by 1891, he is living at 7 Great Ann Street, Bristol and listed as "married", even though I cannot trace any marriage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

John
Owens-Swansea/Wallasey/Garston,L’pool
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Allen-Tetsworth/Hoole/Runcorn/St.Helens/Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Davies-Holywell,Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes
Hughes-Marchwiel,Bangor-Is-Coed,Denbs
Thomas-Oswestry, Salop/Liverpool
Cole-Cliffe Peppard/Lyneham, Wilts
Frawley-Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
Conway-Coolanoran,Co.Limerick
Dinneen-Ballingarry,Co. Limerick

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Everley-Heviley, Oldbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 00:08 GMT (UK) »
by 1891, he is living at 7 Great Ann Street, Bristol and listed as "married", even though I cannot trace any marriage.

What is his wife's christian name/birthyear/birthplace
Any children?

What spelling is he under in 1891

If his surname is prone to mis-spelling - you may be better looking for a marriage using his wife's name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 00:11 GMT (UK) »
No parents names given so I can't check - have you found his parents in 1881 and he isn't with then?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carole.

Thomas' father was Edward Everley (b. according to the 1871 Census for 26 House, Oldbury, Worcestershire at "Royton, Salop" - could be Ruyton or Rowton, Salop). His mother was Amplias (nee Gregg b. Oldbury, 1830). Thomas is aged 8 in 1871. He is then AWOL until the 1891, when he is aged 36 at 7 Great Ann Street, Bristol, England (and living with "wife" Sarah), except that I think he is found D&D in Gloucester in 1888. So, I cannot find him any time between 1871 and 1888, during which time he has changed his name from Everley to Heviley.

Since he was only 8 in 1871 (in Oldbury), and therefore only 18 in 1881, it seemed reasonable to assume he might still be in Oldbury in 1881. In 1881, his parents are at Back of 21 Freeth St with his older brother William (aged 21) and sisters Elizabeth and Annie (RG11/2837/59: 19) - but I cannot find Thomas.

Best

John
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
So the 1891 entry is Thomas Heviley b 1855 Birmingham married to Sarah b 1857 Swindon Wiltshire

Children Harry 6  and Annie 3 both b Bath

As Birmingham is definitely in Warwickshire - what has pinpointed this entry as being Thomas Everley b 1862 Oldbury

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Carole

It's the 1871C  for 6 House, Oldbury, Worc.:

Thomas Everley, son, aged 8, born in Oldbury, Worc. Living with parents (Edward & Amplias), brother, and 3 sisters Ref. RG10/2974/52/p.23

My guess is that was a family row, which led to Thomas leaving the family at aged 18, but I don't know whether he left Oldbury. (I'm not putting too much weight on the Birmingham birth place in 1891). From my grandmother (Thomas' daughter Annie aged 3 in 1891) I know the family came from Oldbury, Thomas' parents were still living there in 1881, and family descendants lived there at least in the 1960s.

Best

John
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In 1871 he is 8yrs old b Oldbury Worcs - 20 yrs later he is 36 b Birmingham Warwickshire hence my question as to whether he is definitely one and the same person.

Do you have Sarah's maiden name from Annie's birth cert to help establish when and where they married as the marriage cert would confirm his father was Edward.

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank again, Carole.

Yes, I'm also not worried about the 1891 age discrepancy, which I've surmised was to assuage any raised eyebrows about the difference is his age and that of his "wife", Sarah Augusta.

I've reached the conclusion (confirmed by oral family history) that Thomas was a bit of a lad. Sarah Augusta's history is also complex! Her maiden name was Cole. She married George Pannel Read in 1866 (Ref. RO1/23/169) and had 7 children with him. I can find no trace of him after 1881, when they are at 9 Roebuck Place, Bath, Somerset. Disaster hits the family after George Pannel Read dies/disappears, the consequence of which is that she is forced to abandon two of her younger children to the work house. She keeps her youngest, Henry ("Harry") John Pannel Read (b. Bath 1883) with her. I have surmised from this that some time between 1881 and 1887 (when Annie Heviley was born, 19 October), Sarah Augusta gets together with Thomas Heviley and Thomas is Annie's birth father. Despite the 1891, the 1901 (St. Helens, Lancs) and the 1911 (Garston, Lancs) saying they are married, they are not. They finally married 13 July 1915 in Liverpool at which point Thomas states his father's name is Edward Heviley (which should have been Edward Everley) and gives his age as 54. Sarah calls herself a widow (but I have not found Read's date of death) aged 60.

I also have been unable to find a birth certificate for Annie. Her birth date comes from her, and my father.

Finally, in 1926 Henry ("Harry") John Pannel Read changes his name to Heviley.

So, quite a story, but with some important gaps.

Any help appreciated

Best

John
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes