Author Topic: John Duke married Elizabeth Davis in Shrewton on 17 Mar 1695  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Duke married Elizabeth Davis in Shrewton on 17 Mar 1695
« on: Friday 21 February 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have recently discovered (with help from Duke family researchers) that my 5th great grandparents were John Duke and Elizabeth Davis who were married in Shrewton. It is believed that Elizabeth was the daughter of Robert Davis and his wife Elizabeth and was baptized on 20 Jan 1676 in Tileshead. 

John may have also be born in Wiltshire in the 1670's.

Any help to locate and confirm parents for both John and Elizabeth would be very much appreciated.

regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Duke married Elizabeth Davis in Shrewton on 17 Mar 1695
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 14 06:04 BST (UK) »
Robert Davis and his wife Elizabeth gave issue at Tilshead to the following known children>
Robert Davis christened 19th November 1669;
John Davis christened 27th January 1671;
Elizabeth Davis christened 18th January 1673;and
Elizabeth Davis christened 28th September 1676
I presume that the first Elizabeth died sometime in the period 1673 to 1676, so the Elizabeth
you are seeking is the second one, which basically clarifies your post. It should be noted of John that he gave issue with his wife
Susanah to a son John who was christened at Tishead 28th September 1693.
There is only one other listing for Davis at Tilshead that I can see being a marriage of a Thomas
to Esther Fletcher on 22nd October 1749.
I would be inclined to check  other surrounding places for other Davis entries.....
Furthering this there is one document at Wiltshire County Council which I quote ad fin et item>

P2/D/406 Inventory, will 1696 Davis, Robert Blacksmith Tilshead

and I would contact WCC direct to acquire that  as other information may come to light....
Best I can offer.

Please note that there are 13 entries for Duke family on WCC site two of which pertain to a "John", and the references indicate places  probably worth investigating for genealogical structures.....
there are approximately 1310 entries for the Duke family on familysearch.org in a variety of places throughout Wiltshire and I would actually database those into some  sense of dated order to see if you can see the most likely of structures...  However , I would look on a map as well to see which are closest etc......
good luck
 :)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Duke married Elizabeth Davis in Shrewton on 17 Mar 1695
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 December 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fastfusion

So sorry not to have replied at the time of your very informative message. Personal circumstances put a stop to my continuing with family history research which I am now slowly resuming.

Many Thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts