Author Topic: Charles MILES and parents Henry and Anne of Purton  (Read 1578 times)

Offline pink petal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles MILES and parents Henry and Anne of Purton
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 19:20 BST (UK) »
Seem to have got lost on this one. Have information on Charles Miles, my Gt Gt grandfather born 4th May 1800 in Purton of mother Anne and father Henry. Charles died on 6th May 1877. I have his children from census returns and his wife was Mary Taylor born arouind 1800 and died 1850.  Can't get any further back than Henry though. Would love to hear from anyone who has managed to research further back on this line. Ever hopeful

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Charles MILES and parents Henry and Anne of Purton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Henry & Ann appear to be christening children in Minety as early as 1790 according to familysearch.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
I can find Charles Miles, baptised 04 May 1800 in Minety,son of Henry and Anne.  Nothing for a similar chap in Purton so far.

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have the marriage?  A strong possibility is Harry Miles and Anne Carey, married in Minety on 24 Mar 1789. Both were single and of the parish.  Their first child was born in 1790. Of course , apologies if you need Purton!

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Pink,

I've found the parents of Anne Carey/Cary.   Anne and Henry called their firstborn Friswith(also written as Frideswide and Frithuswith)  The original was a princess who became the patron saint of Oxford.

There is a baptism in Minety for Ann Cary on 15 Jun 1766,the daughter of Charles and Friswith.  That can't be a coincidence!   There are two other children born to them  -  Mary, baptised 19 Jun 1759, and Joseph, baptised on 01 Jul 1764.   It looks like Charles Cary was married at least twice.  His first wife was Ann Coplin. The marriage was on 15 Oct 1753 in Minety and the couple had a daughter Martha,baptised on 23 Apr 1754 in Minety.

The widowed Charles then married Friswith Hiscock on 03 Dec 1758 in Minety.

Hope this helps a bit.  I'll keep searching!

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 August 14 13:33 BST (UK) »
I have a strong suspicion that Friswith Hiscock was baptised on 30 Oct 1735 in Minety,daughter of Joseph and Mary.  I don't have access to the original manuscript,only trancriptions, and I think that it has been mistranscribed as "Troosoe Hiscock".  If the transcriber didn't know the unusual Christian name and the writing was difficult to read,it's an easy mistake. Ann and Henry call two of their daughters Mary and a son Joseph.  Could be family names.

We can't prove this without checking the parish registers in person,I'm afraid.