Author Topic: Seaton/Seton/Setton/etc. family of Kennoway, Fife (1600's-1700's)  (Read 7677 times)

Offline artemis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seaton/Seton/Setton/etc. family of Kennoway, Fife (1600's-1700's)
« on: Tuesday 01 January 13 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Is anyone else researching any branches of the Seaton/Seton/Setton/etc. family of Kennoway, Fife? I've reached a roadblock and am not sure where to go now. I could only find one other person researching the same families through various internet searches I tried late in 2012, and their email address unfortunately bounces.

My direct line is David Seaton and Isabell Williamson. They had a lot of children, all baptized in Kennoway in the very early 1700's. A David Seaton of Blackhall witnessed some of the baptisms. Through research I discovered Blackhall appears to have been a minor manor in the Kennoway area that was held by an offshoot branch of the landed Seatons in Fife. My family used many of the same given names that that family used, including some the landed family used back to the 1200's. Since the other David witnessed some of the baptisms, it appears he was at a minimum OK with "my" family doing that. But whether "my" family were relatives or tenants of the Blackhall Seatons, I have been as yet unable to sort out.

I haven't been able to find either parent's baptism on SP. Another researcher took a look for me and also couldn't find either parent's baptism on SP. I went through a number of burials for David Seaton/etc's before deciding my credits were better spent trying to research their children to see if there were further clues. Some of the David burials were his grandchildren, and for some there was so little detail it was pretty impossible to be sure if it was the correct David. I couldn't find a burial for Isabell.

So far I haven't figured out whether Blackhall's records survive and if so, where they are held.

I'd appreciate contact from anyone else who is researching this family or any suggestions for what to try next. I'd be happy to go into more detail if anyone wants more than what I've provide here.

Thank you,
Liz
PHILP, WILSON, PEARSON, ANDERSON, HONEYMAN, DEAS, ELDER, NESS, SEATON/SETON/SETTON, & more - all centered around Fife, Scotland

Devon/Cornwall northern border: EVANS, BUSE, BOND, CORNISH, BRAY, & more

Midlands: ADAMS, HAWKES/HAWKS, GARDNER/GARDENER, & more

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaton/Seton/Setton/etc. family of Kennoway, Fife (1600's-1700's)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,
I have a Marion Seaton b1808 married Samuel McCall b1804 and married 29 June 1829.  Marion came from Sorn, Ayreshire.  My ancestor was their son George McCall. Eventually the family lived in Fife.
I notice you also have the Ness family.  Mine were coachmen - Robert Ness and son, also Robert.
Let me know if you are connected in any way.
Lorand.
McCall, Arnott, Ness, Galloway, Balfour, Botes

Offline hinsby41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have just found your post. I can help you with David Seton of Blackhall and many of the Kennoway Setons if it is of help.
Rosemary

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Could this be your couple, you might like to read through this ebook and compare names/facts

"David Seton of Blackhall had also an
illegitimate son, called David, who became
Bailie of Kennoway, and to whose memory there
is a handsome monument in the churchyard of
that parish, bearing a monogram composed of
the letters ' D. S.' and ' I. W.', and an epitaph,
in which he is described as ' Homo pietatis et
justitias amator.' He died in 1733. By his wife,
Isabella Williamson, whom he married in 1702,
he had six sons and three daughters, most of
whom left descendants, including Alexander-
Brodie Seton of Glasgow, Dr. Elphinstone Seton
of London, the Rev. Dr. Craik, Moderator of
the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland"

http://archive.org/stream/historyoffamilv200seto/historyoffamilv200seto_djvu.txt

David Seton of Blackhall, he must have recognised his illegitimate son? I'm having the same problems with my Scottish famlies as I get back into the 1700's. It seems these records are not on SP but in Parish books in churches they are so old :)
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline hinsby41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you whiteout7.  I have this information and the book which contains the information. The only thing not known is the illegitimate David's mother.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 14 05:46 GMT (UK) »
"David Seton of Blackhall, Fife.  He inherited Blackhall by right of his wife.  Born 1653, acquired the lands of Blackhall by marriage with one Mary Archibald, and by her had a large family, descendants of whom still exist. To this family probably belonged
some of the Setons mentioned in Lamont's Diary, such as Thomas "Excyse man" and Captain Seaton who commanded a "caper" vessel.
     m. Marjory Archibald (dau of Alexander Archibald of Blackhall, Fife)
     (1)    Alexander Seton of Blackhall, Fife, succeeded his father, dsp.
     (2)    Robert Seton, Merchant in Kennoway.  Disp and Assigned in favour of his brother David, Baillie in Kennoway, 05.09.1754.
     (3)    Christopher Seton, Writer in Kennoway, Factor to Patrons of Wood Hospital in Largo, c.1732.
     (4)    James Seton of Drummaird (Drumaird), Kennoway
     (5) illeg. David Seton, Stewart-Deputy of Fife, Baron Baillie of the Barony of Kennoway, Fife, Writer in Falkland, and merchant-baker."

http://www2.thesetonfamily.com:8080/directory/Descents/cariston_descent.h

hinsby41, a challenge I think! With my brickwall I had to get people to haul out local paperwork work me. The church held sessions and gave punishments for adultery/illegitimacy ect and sometimes keeps notes
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline hinsby41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 November 14 06:52 GMT (UK) »
That information is not quite correct. My son in law's great great grandfather was Christopher Seton, surgeon of Kennoway who is descended from David Seton and Isobel Williamson. This is the illegitimate son born before his father married Marjorie of Blackhall. David and Marjorie also had a legitimate son named David born about 1703 who married Christian Clerk of Penicuik.  So there were two sons named David.  The illegitimate son witnessed many of the baptisms of the legitimate children. An elderly aunt spent hours at the library in Edinburgh digging out old papers. George Seton's book on the history of the Seton family is now in Digital form. Thank you again for helping. I would be pleased to share our research, which is hopefully accurate, with anyone who is interested.

Offline hinsby41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 November 14 07:34 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to add that the legitimate David was Writer to the Signet (lawyer) and the illegitimate David was the Baron Baillie. I understand he was a baker. His son, also David was the Second Baron Baillie and he was a maltster.

Offline the Luddite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 November 18 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Re. your son in law's great great grandfather, Christopher SETON, surgeon of Kennoway, I have a Christopher SETON 1802-1861 (surgeon) married to Ann McALPIN 1812-1885. His parents were Christopher SETON and Margaret LAING (no dates for either of them) and have been unable to get them further back. Could this be the same Christopher you are referring to?