Author Topic: War Memorial in Kenley  (Read 8184 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: War Memorial in Kenley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

You mention All Saints Church.  Does that mean you are aware of the WW1 Memorial there?

http://www.allsaintskenley.org.uk/documents/History%20of%20All%20Saints.pdf

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline gallipolianzac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
They were members of the armed forces. I have never been to Kenley so am ratherrelying on those of you who live there or nearby.

Jerry
Co.Down: Murland
Sussex: Goode, Watts, Poole
Northamptonshire: Murland
East Yorkshire: Royle

Offline esdel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
Jerry

I will look for you next time the train passes by.
This memorial cannot be reached on foot - you need a flash camera as the train whizzes by and HOPE that the names are on the side facing you
Bouch, Say, Marshall, Sproule, Turnbull,  Newby, Rouse, Curwen. Birdhope Craig

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I am missing something here?  Both these chaps were in the Guards and killed overseas so it seems unlikely there was any connection with the RAF/RFC and any associated memorial. Is there some family connection with Kenley? If so and there is a possibility that they are commemorated locally why wouldn't it be on the memorial at All Saints Church as mentioned in the link provided earlier?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline RLUCYP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know about Kenley, but Carleton Wyndham Tuffnel is on the war memorial of St John the baptist, Hillingdon, Middx.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 August 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
 If both your men where in the guards would they have connections to Caterham (the otherside of the common from Kenley) Caterham Barracks on the hill was a guards depot up untill the Barracks closed they had married quarters in Kenley if memory serves me right Caterham on the hill had a war memorial near to the library also I think one down in the valley.
  Have just asked other half & he has confirmed that  there was none inside the Barracks when we where there in 1978. although there was a monument to all fallen soldiers inside the Guards Chapel
  The barracks had their own chapel (Now an indoor skate board park) all records went to Chelsea Barracks & then when Chelsea Closed I managed to locate the parish books @ Kew under of all things  the war section along with parish copies of my wedding & my  children's baptism records.
Long shot but worth a try