Author Topic: Glassworkers in Dumbarton  (Read 11239 times)

Offline DrD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glassworkers in Dumbarton
« on: Friday 26 February 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Seeking advice / information / sources for glassworkers in Dumbarton for the period 1775-1810.  Do any list of apprentices or information on glassworks "gaffers" exist ?

Any assistance gratefully received as this will help several other researchers in Scotland and the US.

Regards

DrD

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Glassworkers in Dumbarton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 10 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Are you posted on the Scottish Boards for Dunbarton.  In the General Section for Scotland you may find links to whatever you are researching.

Could try trades in Dunbarton for the era of your research.

marcie.
you may well find a link for this in the General Section, if not ask someone for help.  Maybe LittleNell or Kirsty.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 10 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Dr D, have you got this booklet "The Glassworkers of Scotland" by Diana Connell, its available from the Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Unit, Unit 5, 22 Mansfield Street, Glasgow, G11 5QP any family in particular....Skoosh.

Offline DrD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for helping me on my first post !   I am researching my personal family history (family = Dale)  and helping others with glassmaking ancestors in Dumbarton, Glasgow and Leith (= Leighton, Bailey, Lamb).  There doesn`t appear to be much online for Dumbarton (I live in Massachusetts !).  Interestingly, two of my Dale ancestors emigrated tfrom Scotland to Massachusetts to work at the New England Glass Co. some 170 years before I did !

Regards

DrD

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:44 GMT (UK) »
hi drd gaffers were either a head blower in charge of their own shop(team) or the presser on a press on a press shop.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 10 12:46 GMT (UK) »
DrD, an Ambrose Dale had a Glass & China Warehouse in Buchanan Street,Glasgow in 1840.
William Bailey, a bottlemaker, Glasgow, 1768.
William Dale, a bottlemaker, Glasgow, 1788.
William Dahl, crystal glass man, Finnieston, Glasgow, 1783. This last could be a typo or one of the foreign glassworkers in Glasgow, from Bohemia etc'
Skoosh.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:11 GMT (UK) »
gaffers were very good at their job and never stood for any larking about if a lad was not up to the job he would chase him after all if they were on bonus work they would want to get as much made as they could to make better money. even 15 year ago we would say i dont want to work on who evers shop cos he is a write old you know what.
if you need any help with job discriptions or glasswork let me know.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Neil, did they wear clogs, the broken glass must have played hell with boots!.....Skoosh.

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
hi skoosh when i startered in 1984 everyone wore trainers the older blokes wore work boots;after new laws were past  we all had to use safety boots,we allways had tinted glasses or visers if it was big work (over 25 litres) when gathering gloves were only worn on the left hand your right hand had to grip the blowing iron you could not grip it with a glove .blowers and ballmakers didnt use gloves  a trick we payed on our mates was to put a tiny drop of water on each others gloves as soon as you grasped the warm iron the water boiled and you would hit thr roof.
neil