Author Topic: Can I find out more about Duntocher death? Man falls 80 feet.  (Read 6410 times)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I find out more about Duntocher death? Man falls 80 feet.
« on: Sunday 18 August 13 17:15 BST (UK) »
While searching on find my past I came across a news paper article dated Thursday May 19th 1938. The Evening Telegraph. Headline " Boy sees man fall 80 feet to death"

"A message boy saw a man hurtle 80 feet to his death in Duntocher, Dumbartonshire. The victim was Andrew Munn (42) unemployed, 1, New Street Hardgate.
A message boy was walking along the boulevard near to the bridge which crosses Duntocher Burn at the west end of the village saw the man fall from the south parapet to the water, 80 feet below.
The boys cries attracted John Keane, a footballer now with Gateshead, who rushed down the embankment to give assistance. The burn was in spate however, and it was impossible to reach the body.
Policemen recovered the body later Munn had suffered sever head and body injuries. Munn leaves his wife and grown up family"

By reading the whole article I am guessing it was suicide, but would like to find out more.
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find out more about Duntocher death? Man falls 80 feet.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 August 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You would be able to trace the death registration of Andrew Munn on Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and view it online. You would however have to purchase credits in order to do this. 30 credits = £7.   With the info you have this would cost 6 credits.
Because of the circumstances of the death there may well be an RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) if addition information relating to the death is uncovered after the death cert has been written i.e. procurator fiscal amending or elaborating on cause of death etc. This can be viewed too for another credit I believe.

Don't know if you'll find out anymore than you already have, although it may establish whether his death was suicide or an accident.

Good luck with your research,
Looby  :)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 August 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Looby  :) I'll need to buy some more credits next week then. And maybe find him on the 1901 and 1911 census too. Was wondering if they'd be an inquest of some sort?

Pettsy
Petts in Hertfordshire,Chelsea & New Zealand.<br />Swift in Islington, Chelsea &  Battersea.<br />Cox in Chelsea.<br />Carter in Chelsea.<br />Little in Westminster, London.<br />Munn & McAulay in Duntocher, Scotland.<br />
Munn New Jersey and Oz
Dwyer, McManus & Kiernan in Ireland.<br />Turner in Shrewsbury.<br />Cannon in London.<br />Porter in London.<br />Kinner in Chelsea, London.<br />Le Breton

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 August 13 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi pettsy

No inquests or Coroners in Scotland. The arrangements are decribed in detail here:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/fai.asp

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 August 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Imber,

Thank you for the link and the info.  :)

Pettsy
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 August 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
There is an entry in the Scotsman of 19th May 1938 but it has less detail than the first report only adding that the deceased had been unemployed for some time.

Offline pettsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 August 13 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Falkyrn do you have a link to the site so I can have a look myself?

Pettsy  :)
Munn New Jersey and Oz

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Pettsy,
The Bridge was and still is called the' white brig'. Its just yards from New street which is in Duntocher. The little road down to the Bridge was called Gentle Row ..maybe if you google you might get some info.  The Clydebank or Dunbarton libraries might be able to help. There are still Munns Living in and around Duntocher. Hope  I have got this right ...in the old photo 40s/50s  in the right hand corner you will see that the parapet of the Bridge is very broad. Wouldn't be able to fall off.
myyran
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Falkyrn do you have a link to the site so I can have a look myself?

Pettsy  :)

The Scotsman site is a subscription site http://archive.scotsman.com/