Author Topic: Anne GALBREAITH (nee LOWRY) and Esther GRAHAM (nee LOWRY) - are these sisters?  (Read 28012 times)

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anne GALBREAITH (nee LOWRY) and Esther GRAHAM (nee LOWRY) - are these sisters?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 February 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shane for the GRO link and thanks Joe for the marriage information.

Killygreavy
Hi, this looks like the full entry for the marriage of Anne Lowry

Derry Civil Records:

18/11/1849 William Galbraith, F, BA, Far, Ballyboe, James Galbraith, Far.  (M) Anne Lowry, F, Sp, Killygreavy, Moses Lowry, Far.

courtesy of the page below

http://www.igp-web.com/derry/BMD/Robin_Paterson/Galbraith_Chruch_Records.htm

I can't see Killygreavy on logainm.ie. Perhaps there was a miscommunication or transcription error and it should have read Killyverry. (See: http://www.logainm.ie/Viewer.aspx?text=killyverry&streets=yes).

Marriage Certificates
Hi, just one other small piece of information Esther Lowry married William Graham at Raymochy Parish Church in 1856

Killyverry is in the parish of Raymoghy so I'd be optimistic that Esther is one of the missing children.

I will order certificates for both marriages to confirm what each states and post my findings.

Thanks again for all your help.
Researching:
Donegal - Black Ewing Gibson Hodge Latta Linchahan Lucas McClean Ramsy
Donegal/NZ/AU - Ash(e) Lowry Moore Thompson
Cork/Dublin - Deane Hobbs Jeffers Kingston Levis Shorten Swanton Wolfe

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anne GALBREAITH (nee LOWRY) and Esther GRAHAM (nee LOWRY) - are these sisters?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you also have a Jane Lowry, married a David Devenny 29 Dec 1846 at Raymochy Parish church? Janes father was also a Moses Lowry
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 February 12 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Joe! I didn't have Jane already. Where did you discover that Moses was Jane's father?

Based on a will on PRONI for a David Devenny who died February 15th 1889 with a wife named Jane and son named Moses (See: http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx ) Jane appears to live next door to William (one of the confirmed children of Moses) in 1901. Jane dies sometime before 1911 but two of her sons, Moses and James, are shown to be living in the house in 1911. I will add Jane's marriage to my growing list of marriage certificates to order.

1901 Census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Manorcunningham/Ballylevin/1189224/

1911 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Manorcunningham/Ballylevin/499136/

Thanks again.
Researching:

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 February 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I have received copied of the marriage certificates of Jane, Anne and Esther Lowry.

Esther Lowry
I have made contact with a descendant of Esther Lowry and William Graham in Australia. It would appear that Esther is one of Moses' children.

Marriage Certificate details:

Marriage solemnized at: The Parish Church in the Parish of Raymochy in the County of Donegal
When Married:               September 30th 1856
Groom:                          William Graham - full age - bachelor - farmer - Momeen
Bride:                             Esther Lowry - 20 - spinster - [blank] - Killyverry
Father of Groom:            Matthew Graham - farmer
Father of Bride:               Moses Lowry - farmer
Witnesses:                     Samuel Chambers and James Buchannan

Jane Lowry
Based on my last post and the contents of the marriage certificate (below) I believe Jane is another one of Moses' children.

Marriage in:                   The Parish Church in the Parish of Raymochy in the County of Donegal
When Married:               December 29th 1846
Groom:                          David Devenny - 27 - bachelor - farmer - Ballylevin
Bride:                             Jane Lowry - 26 - spinster - [blank] - Killyverry
Father of Groom:            James Devenny - farmer
Witnesses:                      Moses Lowry and Robert McClean

Anne Lowry
I am uncertain as to whether Anne fits into this family. Although she lived in Killyverry in the Parish of Rye (per http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bhilchey/MRaymoghy.html Raymochy and Rye are one and the same) at the time of her marriage I am unsure as to why she went to Londonderry to marry and why Moses was not a witness on the day.

Marriage in:                   The registrar's offices in the city of Londonderry in the district of Londonderry
When Married:               November 18th 1847
Groom:                          William Galbreaith - full age - bachelor - farmer - Ballyboe, Parish of Rye
Bride:                             Anne Lowry - full age - spinster - " - Killyverry, Parish of Rye
Father of Groom:            James Galbreaith - farmer
Witnesses:                      J Hott and Jane McNear

Number of children
I would appreciate anyone's oppinion as to whether I am correct in thinking that Moses Lowry's will indicates that he only had six children (see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/moseslowrywill.jpg)
Researching:

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 March 12 08:31 BST (UK) »
Esther Graham (ne Lowry) married to William Graham is the mother of my great grandmother Fanny Graham (B.1862, Ireland) who at the age of 16 migrated to Sydney Australia  with her sister Isabella (age 19, born in 1858, Ireland) and arrived in 1878.  A tree that I have been given notes the children of William Graham and Esther Lowry as William John, Francis (I think is my Great grand mother), Annia, Maria, Esther (who married a Mr Hogg), Lizzie, and Moses (who married Mary Chambers).  This tree does not note Isabella as in this family and I have found a Death Notice for 1878 for Isabella Graham, the year that Isabella and Fanny arrived in Sydney.  (Isabella's father James Graham of Scotland and mother Elizabeth Graham of Moniefieth Forfarshire Scotland.) wondering if anyone has information on the life of Isabella after arriving in Sydney with Fanny ??? 
Graham: Donegal Ireland, NSW Australia, Scotland
Eyles/Isles: Australia NSW,QLD, Vic;  England, Hampshire, Wiltshire,
Kent: England, Moulton Sussex; Australia, NSW, Qld; New Zealand;
McNamara: Ireland,  Australia NSW, Qld,
Coull/Cowell: Scotland Inverness; Australia Tasmania, NSW, Old, Vic

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 March 12 13:01 BST (UK) »
You may be interested in the notes on this page http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1911momeent.htm and contacting Robyn whose details are included on the page.

You might clarify, do you refer to two Isabella's in your post? Daughter of Esther Lowry and William Graham and daughter of James and Elizabeth Graham?

Researching:

Offline Greatgran graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 March 12 14:07 BST (UK) »
I was informed that the Isabella Graham that accompanied Fanny Graham to Australia in 1875 was her cousin and I have not been able to find any reference to Isabella Graham as sister of Fanny Graham, would appreciate any information or birth certificates  which clarifies this for me

Graham: Donegal Ireland, NSW Australia, Scotland
Eyles/Isles: Australia NSW,QLD, Vic;  England, Hampshire, Wiltshire,
Kent: England, Moulton Sussex; Australia, NSW, Qld; New Zealand;
McNamara: Ireland,  Australia NSW, Qld,
Coull/Cowell: Scotland Inverness; Australia Tasmania, NSW, Old, Vic

Offline Irish girl 1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 March 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to locate a birth record for Isabella however the marriage certificate of Isabella Graham who married Karl Hansen 20 July 1881 aged 21 shows William Graham and Hesther Lowry as Isabella's parents.

The marriage certificate of Fanny Graham who married Henry James Williams 23 February 1884 aged 21 shows her parents as William Graham and Esther.

I see from the Earl Dalhousie Passenger list at http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.asp?Page=NRS5316/4_4802/Earl%20Dalhousie_22%20Jul%201878/4_480200120.jpg&No=14

that the Fanny and Isabella that emigrated together were Church of England and from Donegal and at 16 and 19 they would have been born in about 1862 and 1859 – this matches the ages in the marriage certificates and the religion of Esther and William.
Researching:

Offline alreadyinuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
to Greatgran Graham re: William and Esther GRAHAM
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 March 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
I will be grateful if you can tell me anything about the source of the information on the tree you were given on William and Esther's family.  I am particularly interested in Esther who married "Mr. Hogg."  Esther was born in 1870 and I have nor further information on her.  However, I have a Jessie, born about the same time as Esther, who married Winfield HOGE.  Thank you.
Vance-Donegal (Momeen)
Graham-Donegal (Momeen)