Author Topic: William Harris (1779-bef.1861) and Elizabeth (poss. nee Arndall) (1788-aft.1871)  (Read 359 times)

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to confirm the children in the family for this couple.  There is not too much coming up on Ancestry.  Is there another way to find this family at Minchinhampton GLS and confirm the children - and even that they are the parents of my Mary Ann Day (nee Harris) with father William, who married Richard Day (of Minchinhampton) and emigrated to South Australia in 1838? Any suggestions gratefully received.
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Harris (1779-bef.1861) and Elizabeth (poss. nee Arndall) (1788-aft.1871)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
Do you know when "your" Mary Ann was born? Have you found her christening?  Did she give details of her parents either at her marriage (if post 1837 in UK) or were the details given by th informant at her death (pres in Australia).

Remember not all parish records are online. And also that even if Richard came from Minchinghampton, she may have been born elsewhere.  Where were they married?

Once you have checked Ancestry and Familysearch, then it would be best to contact the relevant Record Office to see if they will look at PRs for you (I see you are not in this country, otherwise you could go yourself)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Harris (1779-bef.1861) and Elizabeth (poss. nee Arndall) (1788-aft.1871)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Harris was baptised 17 Mar 1819 at Minchinhampton, with her twin sister Elizabeth.  Mary Ann and Richard Day were married at Rodborough Church and on that record her father is listed as William.  I will make an enquiry at the Gloucester Archives and see where that goes... thankyou.
Regards
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia