Author Topic: Ellen (Wheal) Pengelly of Gretna Scotland-buried 1924 Tutshill Church,Gloucester  (Read 1556 times)

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello.
       Trying to trace the last resting place of Ellen Pengelly born Ellen Wheal ,Gretna ,Scotland 1843.

She was the Housekeeper of the Reverend John Wotton Pengelly and his wife Sarah in Blackburn Lancashire for 15+ years then when Sarah died he resigned his position at St Michael and all Angels after 30+ years ......and marries Ellen some 30 years younger than him in Worcester,before becoming the Vicar at Aylburton/Alvington!
He dies in 1898 and is buried alongside his 1st wife in St James ,Altham Lancs some 170+ miles away.

I have traced Ellen from Aylburton,to Wibdon/Stroat and finally Gower Villa in Woodcroft,then  in June 1924 she dies and is buried in "Tutshill Church" ,would that be St Luke's  or possibly St Michael and all Angels at Tidenham Chase (which has a certain touce of fate about it)

Does anybody out there have any access to the relevant burial records,monumental inscriptions,or wills,for this lady? .

She may be buried near or with a William (1945) and Margaret Agnes Evans (1974) ,Margaret was her niece also from Gretna who came to live with her when John Wotton Pengelly died ,and in a strange twist of fate Margaret then marries William Evans who had been hired as their General Labourer/Domestic.

It would be nice to pay my respects to them all .

Thanks for reading

Paul

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen (Wheal) Pengelly of Gretna Scotland-buried 1924 Tutshill Church,Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
Tutshill is in the Forest of Dean. You could try their website. It is a free website, but you will have to register.
http://www.forest-of-dean.org.uk/index.php/resources/parish-records
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen (Wheal) Pengelly of Gretna Scotland-buried 1924 Tutshill Church,Gloucester
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
 Victor

Thanks I had forgotten it was in the Forest of Dean Doh!
I had joined the site a couple of years ago and they were very helpfull when I was researching her husband John Wotton Pengelly,had to get another password again ! ,so many sites so many passwords.

They have her parish burial records ;June 28th 1924 at Parish Chapel -Tutshill ,80 years old -Residence Gower Villa Woodcroft.
Register Ref P333/2 in 1/3 Page 56 , Would there be any different information on that ? Anybody know?

No monumental inscriptions unfortunately for that church on file ,and nothing in the way of a will either ,I will have to see if there is anything on William and Margaret Agnes Evans.

Strangely in a small cemetery like that there is a Walter Edward Pengilley (nearly a Pengelly) buried 1956 and he was living in  Woodcroft as well  small world.

Thanks for that

Paul

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 August 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
  Had a good look on Forest of Dean Family History site ,and found

the burial of Ellen Pengelly 1924 in Tutshill
 the marriage of William Evans to  Margaret Agnes Stephenson in 1909 in Pauntley
 the burial of William Evans in 1945 in Tutshill
 but no burial for Margaret Agnes Evans ,I have a possible death in 1974 Westbury Gloucester .

unfortunately no wills ,or Monumental Inscriptions for any of them

So it looks like I will have to have a good nose around all the gravestones in St Luke in case they have one .

Paul