Author Topic: Wilcox family of Aust GLS  (Read 3307 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilcox family of Aust GLS
« on: Wednesday 10 September 14 00:15 BST (UK) »
I am missing a Hannah or Anna Wilcox born/christened circa 1811 to 1813 or so; as stated by 5 census where she appears in Wiltshire United Kingdom stating "Aust Gloucestershire England." as place of birth.....

fs.o has zippo that I can find for Aust, Gloucestershire England.........

Could SKS please extract Wilcox family records ...ie sibs and parents marriage  please........????
They could be non conforms or be closer to Bristol but I cant seem to get anywhere with any Wilcox of the period in GLS......      [ The family may even be in the bordering area of Thornbury ?]

thanks.........

marty
 :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Wilcox family of Aust GLS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 01:54 BST (UK) »
I am missing a Hannah or Anna Wilcox born/christened circa 1811 to 1813 or so; as stated by 5 census where she appears in Wiltshire stating "Aust." as place of birth.....

fs.o has zippo that I can find for Aust.........

Could SKS please extract Wilcox family records ...ie sibs and parents marriage  please........????
They could be non conforms or be closer to Bristol but I cant seem to get anywhere with any Wilcox of the period in GLS......

thanks.........

marty
 :)

Hi Marty, 

Have you tried looking for a baptism for this lass in the NSW or VDL records?   

There was no "Established Church" in NSW, but by 1810, Governor Lachlan Macquarie had issued a General Order, requiring the clergy to transmit details of baptisms and burials to the NSW Chaplains.   Those Chaplains were Church of England Rev'ds, and their parish registers do record baptisms and burials services conducted by clergy of other denominations, for example Wesleyans, Roman Catholics, Presbyterians and other denominations too.   

NSW BDM online index has been experiencing some seriously flawed issues, and of course, not all clergy transmitted summary information to the NSW Chaplains, BUT it may be worthwhile asking for some assistance from the Aussie Board.    NSW BDM 'births' index includes Early Church Records for baptisms, burials and marriages.   The indexes were not prepared until the 1930s so there's the usual mistaken readings of the faded and well worn longhand.   You may need some 'outside of the square' thinking with the surname 'WILCOX".   

I should also mention that the spelling habits of the NSW residents suggests there was no standard spelling, not even for surnames.  Even Governor Macquarie's own handwriting shows that he varied the spelling of his own surname on a fairly regular basis. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 03:29 BST (UK) »
fs.o has zippo that I can find for Aust.........

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1770729  ....   scroll through about 2,510 baptisms are there when I used the following keywords :  New South Wales,  1808-1815  :)  notice I did not key any words for your person of interest.   

family search seems to have 14 collections for Australia,  2,168,350 indexed records, and 1,946,423 unindexed record images

"Australia
Our Australia library includes:
14 collections (1776 - 2005)
2,168,350 indexed records
1,946,423 unindexed record images
18 Jun 2014 last updated
Start researching in Australia"

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 06:21 BST (UK) »
O Dear>     We are not talking about Aust. as in an abbreviated form of the word Australia, nor are we talking about Wiltshire Junction in Tasmania....

If you care to L O O K on a map    Aust is a place name of a village , or town near Thornbury in
G L O U C E S T E R S H I R E     United Kingdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Aust/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aust

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 07:16 BST (UK) »
And so it seems that you were not referring to the township of Gloucester, NSW Aust. either ;D

I have many a Wilcox from the first decade or so of the 1800s in the Gloucester region of NSW Aust  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 07:26 BST (UK) »
 ;)cheers JM

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 06:04 BST (UK) »
regarding this post.... I have been informed the registers for Aust are tucked away in a cupboard in Bristol Archives......    again I am 12000 kms away so I guess I wont be reading them anytime soon...

unless someone somewhere has a transcription of the parish................... ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry caht help with transcription!

I looked at any Wilcox on Census born Aust, Glous.

Found a WILLIAM born c 1822 Aust (1851/1861/1881 Wales Census so far) and BENJAMIN c 1803 Aust (1881 Census only for him so far)

Just noting this in case he is a Sibling of Ann and this has his Fathers and maybe her Fathers name/occp
Marriage;
10 April 1843, Parish Church, Chapel Hill, Monmouthshire, Wales
William WILLCOX, Bachelor of Chapel Hill Parish, Occp Horsekeeper,  Father WILLIAM Willcox, Occp Postboy
Ann LEE, Spinster of Chapel Hill Parish, Father WILLIAM Lee, Occp Shoemaker
Witnesses, William Evans/Sarah Hitchings
(Source FreeREG)

Who did Ann marry and when?

****Also worth noting is a Marriage of William WILCOX of Aust Glous Parish, to Anne HARRIS of Shirenewton Parish, 06 July 1790, Parish Church, Shirenewton, Monmouthshire, Wales
Glous/Monmouthshire are very close.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 20:14 BST (UK) »
Bristol and Avon Family History Society have transcribed the baptism registers for Aust from 1813 - http://www.bafhs.org.uk/bafhs-shop/cdroms/178-baptismal-registers-volumes-1-to-7.  They haven't done pre 1813 yet.  However, as it states on the page, you can purchase a pdf download of them to avoid having to pay postage.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day